Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skagit lines

Default Skagit lines

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but having been away from fishing the fly for a few years, can someone who knows about these things, please explain what I need when buying new (Skagit?) lines for my 8/9 13ft rod.

At present I have all DT lines, but what do I need if I am going to fish floating/sink tip for this rod? Or is what I have suitable in this day and age?

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you are after a alternative to your current gear (DT-lines) I would go for Scandi heads instead of Skagit head for the fishing you describe. Skagit is more suitable for large/heavy flies and heavy tips with sustained anchor cast like double spey. With a scandi head you can use all type of casts and it's even easier then the longer DT-line.

A Scand head with floating body and multi-tip is always a good start.

This is one that I like
    Guideline DDC Connect RTG

Or this one it's no multi-tip but a good fishing/casting line
    Guideline Triple-D (New)

Tight Lines..

If you want to go that direction you should look at Shooting heads, simply put Skagits are just heavy weight shooting heads. With shooting heads you load up your reel with backing and a running line, this is just a untapered floating line similar in some ways to your backing. Using loops you attach your shooting head to this, your shooting head can be any variation of floating to fast sink. The shooting head is weight forward, the idea being that you have all of the shooting head the rod tip each time you cast, so you are always casting the same length and this carries the lighter weight running line out of the rod to achieve the desired distance. This is probably an over simplification and your best way would be to have an hour or so with a casting instructor who can demonstrate and show you all of the elements.

G

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I Spey cast ok with the DT's (they are what I was taught with in the days of Hugh F!!), and as most of my fishing is on small to medium sized rivers and I need to renew my lines I take it then that my best bet is to go for Skandi's?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
    Thanks a lot for the advice.

I Spey cast ok with the DT's (they are what I was taught with in the days of Hugh F!!), and as most of my fishing is on small to medium sized rivers and I need to renew my lines I take it then that my best bet is to go for Skandi's?

Paul
    Paul, it might help if you could tell us which rivers as there may be Forum members who fish them.

Just had a look at the guidline site as suggested.

Would I be best to go down the "Compact RDG" route as I fish small/medium rivers. I also have a B&W Salmon & Seatrout 7/8 single hander which sounds as if it would be the perfect fit for the Compact line.

I have also heard mention the RIO lines....what do you think?

Paul

Frank,

I fish the Teifi, Towy, Exe and am booked for the Till in May. Also have fished Thurso, Bladnoch, Cree etc all of which are easily managed rivers for casting. Or at least were, when I was younger!!!!!!

Paul

8. Default

Hi Paul,

You could also join us at the SFF Meet in July and try a range of lines

John

John

Where is the SFF meet in July? On your Cabberston beat?

Just been on your site, fab looking water! Would be a longish cast for my 13 footer, but I do have a 15 as well so all would not be lost! Where is that in relation to the Farson Traquiar webcam?

Paul

Red face

Paul, that's helpful.

I think you might want to consider the Rio AFS Outbound which is an integrated shooting head, i.e. a shooting head with integral running line rather than being joined by a loop-to-loop join to a separate running line. I used one on the Thurso last year and found it worked a treat; as there is no join you can, where required, pull some of the head into the rings and it will still cast well- and it's nicer when playing a fish. It doesn't turn over very heavy tips as the tip is quite fine, but you may well not need them. It casts quite "heavy" so the 8/9 would be ample for your 13 footer, I would imagine (especially when overhead casting- again, you can reduce the effective weight by pulling some of the head into the rings); but the presentation will be better than with a Skagit and that could be important on, say, Beat 7 of the Thurso which as you may recall is rather slow flowing.

You might even find that the 7/8 suits your rod and/or casting style better than the 8/9 so if you know anyone who has either of those weights it would be worth begging a go with it to see how you get on. A while back I found myself with only the 8/9 and a 10/11 fast actioned rod and casting was no problem.

The downside is that the AFS Outbound is expensive. I believe you can also get an intermediate version, but I haven't tried it. Note that the Rio nomenclature is confusing- the AFS simpliciter is a conventional shooting head (insofar as there is such a thing) and the Outbound is something else again- Rio's website will explain, I expect.

Tight lines, Francis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast