Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salmon and river estuary.

How long can salmon stay in the estuary of the river? I have several years of salmon caught in the estuary of the river Strelna. Silver salmon caught from the beginning of the season, starting in May. Especially a lot of salmon in the estuary comes in June and then from the middle of August. This is explained by a simple mass-spring and autumn walking fish. But surprisingly, in the middle of summer, in July and early August in the estuary too many silver fish. However, it does not go up the river. Above the falls at this time of the resident fish can be caught, but rarely fresh salmon. But in the estuary of the river with every tide is plenty of fresh fish, which reaches up to the waterfalls. These salmon are caught on the fly well and probably go with the tide back into the sea. The movement of salmon in the estuary can be seen jumping fish. With the rise of the water level you can see the movement of salmon first on the border with the sea, and then the whole area of ​​the estuary. Such a situation occurs daily. It seems that part of the summer salmon stock is looking for opportunities to go up the river. But perhaps it is the remains of the spring herd, who did not climb up.

Question

Can you write more about your technic, flys, lines and places to fish??
    Maybe something about February, March?

Yep, Salmon and Grilse enter the estuary and wait until conditions are right for them to run the river.....

usually a rise in water levels , flood or heavy rain will make them move upriver...

those places which are tidal , shallow and usually close to the fresh water non tidal point of the river will give the angler sport on the fly rod......

fish will go to the river non tidal point and on the tide receding , move back down with the tide spreading themselves along the tidal part of the estuary...
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

TonyPrior Guest

Small estuaries and sea pools are my favourite venues to fish, but I find that the fish don't seem to take well in brackish or salt water. Maybe it's lack of technique on my part? I still love to do it just for the environment, and if you do get one it's almost certainly going to be a beaut.

Question

yes, I know - I saw few times fish come into river from estuary (even at low water), but how to catch them??
    is it just about correct place or time (after tide)?
    Last edited by AllFish; 01-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

I fish my local tidal estuary pools when the river has been low for at least a fortnight.
    I have only caught 2 Salmon over the years but i,v had loads of Seatrout.
    The Salmon seem to run on the flood tide and won,t look at anything,yet i,v seen and caught a lot more Seatrout on the last 2 hours of the ebb and over slack water when they lie up in the pools.Once the tide starts to flood they go off the take.
    I mostly fish a spinner,usually a black and gold firetail Flying C or a big gold Mepps.Never had a fish on a Toby when i,v tried them.
    I have had the odd Seatrout on the fly but i don,t fish it much here.
    The Flounders can be a pain sometimes,they will come 6ft off the bottom to take the spinner if the water is clear enough.

TonyPrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    I fish my local tidal estuary pools when the river has been low for at least a fortnight.
    The Salmon seem to run on the flood tide and won,t look at anything,yet i,v seen and caught a lot more Seatrout on the last 2 hours of the ebb and over slack water when they lie up in the pools.Once the tide starts to flood they go off the take.
    I mostly fish a spinner,usually a black and gold firetail Flying C or a big gold Mepps.Never had a fish on a Toby when i,v tried them.
    The Flounders can be a pain sometimes,they will come 6ft off the bottom to take the spinner if the water is clear enough.
    Sea trout is a different story. But if even you have difficulty tempting salmon to take in the estuary, well...I feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    There are estuary pools near the sea and others beside the non tidal point..or start of the fresh water river......ie not influenced by the tide....

those pools immediately beside the fresh water river starting point "usually" give a possibility of Salmon and Sea trout......

those pools further down the estuary nearer the sea and with lots of sea weed showing "dont" give the possibility of Salmon but Sea Trout will be possible if present........( and this is where I would like to hear of instances of Salmon being caught by design in sea weed covered estuary pools?)........

The Moy estuary is a particular clear case .....for decades ten's /hundred's of anglers have fished the lower & middle estuary I am not aware of one angler who has ever caught Salmon by design down in estuary pools with sea weed growing......but just a few hundred yards the town side of the quay......there is every likelihood of catching Salmon in tidal estuary pools ( with no or very little sea weed on their banks)......
    Last edited by Grey Monkey; 02-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

[QUOTE=stomatolog;526251]How long can salmon stay in the estuary of the river? I have several years of salmon caught in the estuary of the river Strelna. Silver salmon caught from the beginning of the season, starting in May. Especially a lot of salmon in the estuary comes in June and then from the middle of August. This is explained by a simple mass-spring and autumn walking fish. But surprisingly, in the middle of summer, in July and early August in the estuary too many silver fish. However, it does not go up the river. Above the falls at this time of the resident fish can be caught, but rarely fresh salmon. But in the estuary of the river with every tide is plenty of fresh fish, which reaches up to the waterfalls. These salmon are caught on the fly well and probably go with the tide back into the sea. The movement of salmon in the estuary can be seen jumping fish. With the rise of the water level you can see the movement of salmon first on the border with the sea, and then the whole area of ​​the estuary. Such a situation occurs daily. It seems that part of the summer salmon stock is looking for opportunities to go up the river. But perhaps it is the remains of the spring herd, who did not climb up.""""

I have wondered for some time if this is why, in the Miramichi, most of our August caught fish have some color, and why during September and October we get almost entirely colored fish but many with sea lice. We have a very large estuary where the water turns slowly from fresh to brackish, and fish can be seen jumping down there all summer. I assume that in the late season a very few come directly out of the ocean into the river and that gives us some silver fish, but most are colored from spending time in the brackish estuary. Perhaps the degree to which they stay silver depends on how saline the waters are in the estuary?
    Last edited by miramichi; 02-02-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

The change in biological process needed when the fish move from salt to fresh water, puts a huge strain on the fish. So most fish will probably stay in the "fresh" water once they have reached an estuary, to reduce the stress. The water if often surprisingly "fresh" on a longer stretch that we believe, due to the constant pressure from the water going out of the river. It also explains why the fish "follows the tide" in and out - that is partly to save energy (go with the flow so to say) and partly to avoid reversing the salt/freswater adaption. And this is also the reason why a freshly run fish from saltwater in general has less tolerance for C&R (more prone to death) than fish that have spent some time in the river (or more correctly fresh water).

I do not know, but my guess is that fish going through this stressful process rarely are "takers". And it probably also explains why You don't cash fish in "sea weed pools", constantly moving between the fresh- and saltwater phase would be dangerous to the fish for biological reasons.

We also know (a lot of research in Norway with radio transmitters and tagging) that once the fish has chosen to "run" the river, it will be more aggressive to baits for a period of a few weeks (3?) until it becomes more "settled". And then turning more aggressive again in the later period in the river.

Fish staying in the estuary for some time, is probably partly down to genes (fish that run a river that turn too warm and low in the late summer might just die out genetically) and mostly just down to unwanted conditions for further migration (too cold, too warm, too low or too strong flow for instance).

ursus
    Last edited by Ursus Nautilus; 02-02-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: adding sentence about seaweed pools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast