Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coneheads?

Default coneheads?

What do most of you lads think of conehead flies ,I do fish them sometimes but prefer a fly without them maybe it is just they look better without what u reckon .thNks in advance for replies.cheers craig

I only started really using them last year and found them effective in faster flows especially the tungsten yins.
    Had a good afternoon down the Nith one day in a rising/ colouring water with a cascade type yin with arctic fox wing material.

Get you down quicker and show up good in the coloured waters

Personally, I dislike using weight. It's clunky to cast and I think that weightless flies swim better.

i really think ignoring coneheads can only mean less work for your rod n reel there is no doubt these have great uses as an attraction fo salmon and the options of weight which is more important than anything,the likes of the ufo and turbo cones are not so much for adding weight but to give movement to a fly than would otherwise be doubles back, instead with the turbo cone they really do flutter away when these are applied on a tube.
    So if you don't like fishing with extra weight you will notice little difference fishing a ufo tied on a plastic tube it will be lighter than a hook .

Mates tyed up a few with the disks can't wait to give them a go
    Last edited by bracoden; 17-01-2013 at 08:52 AM.
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Will View Post
    Personally, I dislike using weight. It's clunky to cast and I think that weightless flies swim better.
    Could be wrong, but I am sure the conehead was to get around the age old problem of the hook making the fly swim tail down.

I remember some guys used to wrap a little lead at the head of the tube many years ago.

I've been struggling with coneheads - how do you fit the revolving blade?
    Elibank

Quote Originally Posted by Newly From The Sea View Post
    Could be wrong, but I am sure the conehead was to get around the age old problem of the hook making the fly swim tail down.

I remember some guys used to wrap a little lead at the head of the tube many years ago.
    Exactly - Coneheads do help to balance the tube fly so they swim more straight

They also make very uniform heads - faster to tie - since we do not need to varnish the head.

Coneheads come in many different sizes and colours and (weights - metals like tungsten).

I like the added weight on most tubes so they do not skate when swinging them in faster currents

Use conehead tubes a lot! Fishes that wee bit deeper and more evenly. Couple of seasons back nearly all my back end fish came to Klops holo willie gunn conehead.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast