Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Left or Right Handed ?

It's just been pointed out to me that I have a very unusual fishing technique.
    When casting a single handed fly rod I cast with it in my left hand and then quickly pass the rod to my right hand to retrieve and/or play a fish.
    Same thing when casting a spinning rod one handed.
    But when casting using 2 hands either a spinning rod or a double handed fly rod I do this Right handed and dont swap the rod over.
    I am left handed and left footed but everything I do which uses both hands I do Right handed
    Does anyone else have this wierd trait ?
    Last edited by dansalmon; 23-11-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dansalmon View Post
    It's just been pointed out to me that I have a very unusual fishing technique.

Does anyone else have this wierd trait ?
    Far too much information!
    Last edited by donnieW; 23-11-2007 at 04:04 PM.

I'm also left-handed ( but two footed) but the world is a right-handed one. I play golf and cricket right-handed because like so many things I was "taught" to play right-handed.

I fish happily off both shoulders but will almost always put rod in left hand while the line fishes and while playing fish. If using a net, I'll put rod in right hand and net with left hand

However, I do believe it's time rod makers made left-handed rods

I know what you mean,I bought a left handed screw driver.....useless

I feel your pain - left-handers of the world unite

Again, as above, I feel your pain. I have a whole tool box full of 'stuff' that appears to be left handed. Wrenches, screw drivers, cresent wrenches, et al.

Bummer.

I am right handed but change all my fly reels to left hand wind. This allows me (if fortunate enough) to cast, strike then play a fish without having to swap over the rod from my right to left hand. Has always struck me as a more efficient way of doing things.

PS Springer, can you Tell Frank at Turriff Tackle how to spell Guideline

Thanks for apologising to Alison Dan.
    I know you were not trying to offend Alison with your comment and thank you for your generous apology.I hope you accept Dan's apology Alison and appreciate it was a genuine error on his part.

I am right handed and use all my fly reels with left hand wind. This means I am holding the rod with my stronger hand and wind with my left one. I do this for trout and salmon fishing. It means I can cast and play a fish without changing hands like you see some people do.

Stuart

Some interesting observations about casting. I'm right handed but have rewound all my fly lines to accomodate a left hand wind.

When fishing off the left hand bank, I back cast over my left shoulder, but over my right shoulder when fishing off the right hand bank. I'm by no means an accomplished caster but I'm concious of having better timing when on the left hand bank. I suspect I need some tuition.

Some years ago while fishing the Dee, I accepted an offer from my ghillie to teach me Spey casting, which I found to be a big help. We fished off both banks but for some reason, I'm better at it off the left bank.

While practising, I hooked and landed a fresh run 4lb grilse. I commented on the presence of one sea louse on the fish's gills to which my ghillie retorted "Yes sir, it's such a small fish, there's only room for the one".
    We laughed about that for days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast