Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: What backing

Default What backing

Just looking for a heads up on which backing is the best on the market at the moment,,when I say best take into consideration value for money too,,also what type,, its normally the braided type i use,,am due to renew all mine before the start of the season hence the reason value for money don't want to be paying a fortune for 100 yds numerous times,,cheers sandy
    In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

seen some backing on ebay for under 15 a spool

Taking everything into consideration, I think this is as good as any;

Hartley Fly Fishing - Airflo Micro Poly Backing 30lb 500yds - Buy Fishing Flies Online

THIS GUY HAS ALWAYS SERVED ME WELL. HE IS MOST HELPFUL AND MAY WELL BE ABLE TO SUPPLY LARGER REELS THAN ARE GENERALLY AVAILABLE.
    Tight lines for the coming season.

Nylon Braided Fly Line backing British Made | eBay

Default backing

airflo gel spun backing use it in salt no worries and super thin comes in 300 yd spools

as far as value for money goes as already stated the airflow micro will gave you this and wont let you down however depending on the size of reel used and river you fish you may feel the need to have hundreds of yards then you may require a fine gel spun this can be more expensive
    because of the fine diameter of the gel spun i persoally am a little wary being afraid it will cut through my line under pressure but thats just my opinion

If you like the braided option you could do worse that consider Dyneema sea braid at about 11 for a 500m spool at 70lb breaking strain - direct from China, of course!! Use it for the winter codding but am seriously considering it as backing - only 0.44mm dia too!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Red face

That's a great price by Hartleys, mostly sold for 19.99 even on ebay.
    Thanks for the link, postage is only 1.95 and thats the same for two lots. I was just looking for some as well so have just ordered a couple of spools.
    Gerry
    Last edited by gerry atric; 30-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.