Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First foxt tail

Default First foxt tail

Just finished tying my little tube fly from my foxy tail pack, how how long to I cut the inner tubing from the cone before burning off and what do I need to hold my hook in place at the tail

Quote Originally Posted by superfly127 View Post
    Just finished tying my little tube fly from my foxy tail pack, how how long to I cut the inner tubing from the cone before burning off and what do I need to hold my hook in place at the tail
    I have summoned the Cavalry...Oz, Cloner or Intruder will be here to help soon ( I hope !!)

Quote Originally Posted by superfly127 View Post
    Hi superfly! to get the best result: Try to make a really neat head on the fly. Apply a little super glue on the head and put the disc in place. Cut the inner tube and leave 2mm. Burn a small collar with a lighter. Be careful so that it does'nt melt to much or to fast.

cheers Peter

Thanks intruder il give it a go now

Good job, now what do I need to hold hook in place at the tail, thx

I would say 1 mm excess of the inner tube is plenty. Also be careful with the super glue no to put it directly on the plastic tube. The safe way is to put some glue on the tying thread and make final 3-4 wraps prior to mounting the cone head. Then cut the inner tube leaving 1 mm excess and melt it using the blue flame of the lighter - gently, better melt several times rather than one time too long.

There are several ways to attach the hook. You either need to make a recess in the outer 3 mm tube to accommodate your hook shank + tippet knot. With metal tubes you can use free swinging hook rig or put on the end of metal tube a soft tubing.

These may be of some help:

Setting up FutureFly Tubing System Foxy-Tails.co.uk

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...read39853.html

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...read27266.html
    Last edited by cloner; 27-12-2012 at 10:02 PM.