Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can any fisherman

How many people have nearly crashed cos they are looking at a river when driving.

Can any fisherman keep his eyes on the road.

only 2 things make me take my eyes off the road and a river is one, can you guess the other

I know what you mean. The reason so many anglers have 4 wheel drive vehicles is nothing to do with driving off-road. It's so that they can see over bridges.

.... or get themselves out of ditches when they vere off the tarmac.

try doing my job then!! think we look at the road bout 5% of the time lol

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    try doing my job then!! think we look at the road bout 5% of the time lol

When I am in the car with the wife and we catch sight of a river, she immediately says "Shall I drive?". Definitely safer that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Fruin View Post

When I am in the car with the wife and we catch sight of a river, she immediately says "Shall I drive?". Definitely safer that way!
    haha yea that be better, but not in my case. when she drives i have my eyes shut!!!!!

Wink

Phew, I'm not the only one! I have to pass my river every day on the way into town, had quite a few adrenalin raising moments after gazing too long at the river.

Off again now, wish me luck!
    S

Default Macd's Rubbernecker's Guide to the A96

after leaving aberdeen- cross the don at inverurie; after commenting on water conditions to the wife ( e.g. water's too low/looks favourite for a fish) establish and maintain silence until huntly and the deveron – you cant think about fishing and discuss your family life/marriage at the same time. Ive tried. If she persists, pretend to be asleep

The deveron is often low here, but when there is a good push of water through it, it is a great conversation piece and the wife gets to learn something too. ' River's up, could be a shot of fish coming through there darling.’

As it is a fairly low bridge here it is somewhat difficult to view the river both upstream and downstream of the bridge. This is where the advanced rubbernecker will attempt the ‘swerve’ (watch out for tractors here rubberneckers ).

Safely back on your own side of the road, there is nothing worth speaking about until we get to fochabers and the mighty spey. Now be careful about what you say or think here. I would recommend a quick glance, making no comment in case it is misunderstood or wilfully misrepresented. This is an easy mistake to make. If you are keen to try,comment on the spey online first and see if you draw any fire. It is annoying but generally safer.

Moving on- zig-zaggin your way through assorted agricutural vehicles, time melts away and after a sneaky peak at the lossie in elgin (be sure to tell the wife that you think it holds sea-trout) our next destination is forres and the beautiful Findhorn. This is a high tariff rubberneck as there is a tight bend- you have to be quick to get a glimpse upstream and downstream. If you are in a 4x4 watch your speed as those babies can flip.

Our journey is in the final stages and our penultimate river is the nairn. The road here has been toughtfully designed to include traffic lights and town centre traffic- so a gentle trundle enables you to get a right good look each way (not ahead, that is wasteful). As for commentary, the nairn is tidal at this point and a ‘simple tide’s in’ (or out) will do nicely.

And finally the Ness in Inverness city centre. Again, its tidal at this point and if there has been rain the Ness at high tide can be quite swollen, at which point the only thing to say is ‘she’s looking big, darling’. This happy thought can be carried forward into the evening and revisited at lights out.

Drive Safe
    Last edited by macd; 21-11-2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: spellin

an absolute classic Macd, so true in many ways
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

you must have enjoyed my driving from inverness to halkirk easky.

Another rubberneck route par excellence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast