Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default High water, high temperature, Fly Tactics??

With all the rain we've been getting, the river are often high, coloured (good peat stain at least) and the water temperatures increasing to around 14-16oC (56-60F) in my area
    the books say small fly near the top for warm water, can they see it/will they take it?
    If I didn't get board of spinning after about 1/2 hour that that would probally be the way to go and with spinning in mind should we fish big and flashy, a foot or two down and fast??

What are your thoughts on fly size, depth, speed, likely taking spots and anything else to consider??????????

Aye Richard, big water and peaty can only say for spinning, yellow flying c or red and copper on the Tyne deadly, just normal retrieve not too fast as give the fish time to see it, slower water try the gfr countdown rap or a nice gold or hot head xrap (shows up in the water). sorry about the fly but when the waters i tend to spin
    ta
    BJA
    EVERY CHANCE OF A FISH IF THEY ARE THEREHidden Content

Riverman I've given up the spinning in all but seriously high water that doesn't allow me to get in with the fly. I've been fishing a river just as you describe and having a bit of success on the fly. I got a fish on Tuesday with the river about 4.5ft on the fly. My tactics were a sink1 sink 3 shooting head with a fast polytip off that. I then used a rather large pot belly pig. I suppose not much different to a spinner really. When the water is so high even this sinking line isn't fishing that deep. Where I'm fishing your really fishing over running fish at such times. Something big and flashy in their faces works for me.
    I fished again today with the river sitting about 3 feet and still quite peaty. I actually like the peat colour and have always found it fishes well enough with the fly. I lost a fish today with a hover/sink1 with 5ft fast tip fishing a pool that is a good 12ft deep. The fly was a size 6 cascade. Fished quite fast.
    There isn't big numbers of fish about where I'm fishing. And the only fish I'm seeing are on the end of the line. It's still early days for south west Scotland so just hoping that the big runs are yet to come. Tight lines for season ahead.

Default your right

Quote Originally Posted by BJA View Post
    Aye Richard, big water and peaty can only say for spinning, yellow flying c or red and copper on the Tyne deadly, just normal retrieve not too fast as give the fish time to see it, slower water try the gfr countdown rap or a nice gold or hot head xrap (shows up in the water). sorry about the fly but when the waters i tend to spin
    ta
    BJA
    Your right for sure John, for effective catching it's without doubt the way to go in that sort of conditions, fellow I know had a salmon and a sea trout on in the last couple of days in under an hours fishing on a silver toby, and two years ago I had 7 sea trout between 4 and 11lbs in just over 2 hours fishing in high, very coloured, warmish water. Problem is even with that kind of results I just love fishing the fly these days, I've taken the spinning rod in the car everywhere for the last season or so, it used to come down to the river with me but can't rember wetting a line and it just got in the way going back up the pool to collect it so it just stays in the boot now. There's got to be fly options even if they are never going to be as effective as the spinner.
    Last edited by Riverman; 07-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
    With all the rain we've been getting, the river are often high, coloured (good peat stain at least) and the water temperatures increasing to around 14-16oC (56-60F) in my area
    the books say small fly near the top for warm water, can they see it/will they take it?
    If I didn't get board of spinning after about 1/2 hour that that would probally be the way to go and with spinning in mind should we fish big and flashy, a foot or two down and fast??

What are your thoughts on fly size, depth, speed, likely taking spots and anything else to consider??????????
    The fly size charts are for "normal" water heights and colour. If you have extra water or colour then you need to increase the fly size. I will spin if that's what is needed but prefer to fish the fly if I can. If the river is "peaty" try a big tube with copper tinsel body and copper flash in the wing. If it is muddy use a bulky fly with lots of orange and red and a black overwing and a big black "stiff" cock hackle IMHO
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Personally I find size of fly less of an issue in high coloured water and often use a brightly coloured sparkly larger fly, size 2 or so fished high in the water 6 ins or so below the surface but vary the speed of my retrieve to keep the distance from the surface that I require.
    In really heavy water I think fish move closer to the banks and it is quite possible to catch on the fly just a few feet out. I look for speed of water first not too fast and not too slow and try to fish my fly as I want it over the patch of water I think is likely to hold fish.
    I am amazed at the colour of water that the fish can sense a fly in. I suppose it is different looking upwards into the light and it would appear to me that the reaction is largely to do with excellent perception of movement if something comes within the field of vision.
    I really enjoy fly fishing high coloured water and am always quietly confident when the water is up. Fish can appear at any time of day.
    Low water fishing is perhaps in some ways more skilful but high water fly fishing is always exciting especially if it it is wet and windy as well.
    Spinning may catch but it is dull by comparison. Sorry.

I tied up a few 2 inch copper tubes earlier in the week, same as the red devil but with orange bucktail, copper angelhair, hot orange jungle cock and fire orange head.

The flying c, mainly red, is working very well on the Nore at present and this was my alternative for a fast sinking visible flee. Not swam yet because of all the heavy rain
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by Redleader View Post
    Personally I find size of fly less of an issue in high coloured water and often use a brightly coloured sparkly larger fly, size 2 or so fished high in the water 6 ins or so below the surface but vary the speed of my retrieve to keep the distance from the surface that I require.
    In really heavy water I think fish move closer to the banks and it is quite possible to catch on the fly just a few feet out. I look for speed of water first not too fast and not too slow and try to fish my fly as I want it over the patch of water I think is likely to hold fish.
    I am amazed at the colour of water that the fish can sense a fly in. I suppose it is different looking upwards into the light and it would appear to me that the reaction is largely to do with excellent perception of movement if something comes within the field of vision.
    I really enjoy fly fishing high coloured water and am always quietly confident when the water is up. Fish can appear at any time of day.
    Low water fishing is perhaps in some ways more skilful but high water fly fishing is always exciting especially if it it is wet and windy as well.
    Spinning may catch but it is dull by comparison. Sorry.
    food for thought redletter, good thought to concentrate on assessing the water speed not only for the fish to stop in but for the fly speed too, so easy to forget about when you know the pools and where fish usually sit or just daydreaming about 30 pounders or something, I too like the water up with some colour, my ideal water conditions would be afalling water a foot above summer level, when I can see my feet standing in the water up to my knees by high I was sort of thinking 2-4ft up with a range of colour in the water from peaty tinge to maybe 6 inches visibility, much higher or less visibility I'd probabally stay home and build up some brownie points.
    Anyone know about that fly the "flood flasher" their using down on the tamar?

If you can find a spot on your beat where a fish might rest then you've always got a chance - if its really too dirty for the fly and rules allow I enjoy fishing worm for a complete change and it can be very effective in even the dirtiest flood.
    "Go easy...step tight...stay free".

Believe it not, a larger(1" to 1.5") Stoat's Tail Tube with a yellow tag and a flat silver rib can often be successful in such conditions

wsg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast