Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default August fishing in Dumfries

I am going to be down in Dunfries / Castle Douglas area around the 2nd to 8th August and was wondering where would be worth fishing. How easy is it to get onto the beats and where / how much would I expect to pay? What are the prospects at this time of year?

I'm also going to Carnforth, Lancaster on the 9th August for a week. Is there anywhere worth fishing in this area for salmon or trout?
    If I were to fish a stocked trout pond do I still need to buy a EA license?

Thanks

Stuart
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he will sit and drink beer all day.

Stuart the River Annan or Nith are good waters at that time - Nith perhaps more so, but both easy enough to get onto. Don't know the rules with the E.A. though?

Maybe some of the other guys will come on and advise.

Hi

If you fish south of the boarder you will have to have a licence I'm afraid, stocked or not. However, if you want to try for some trout in a stocked place try Broom fisheries 2 miles outside Annan, not too bad a place and a good shop too (http://www.broomfisheries.co.uk/index.html) no licence required of course.

Re the salomn, they will be starting to come up the Annan in greater numbers soon, five were caught last week I noted. Have a look at http://www.fishbritain.co.uk/Annan/?dom=Scotland for rod vacanices - perhaps your best bet might be the Hoddom beat, they've got rods on the dates you mention for £25 a day.

BTW I ve no links to the Broom fishery.

Stuart when you come down to Lancaster you can fish on the Lune on the EA water. Here is a link to buy your rod licence and also a link for the fishing

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...sion=1&lang=_e

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-...pper-and-lower

The info on the fishing may be out of date as its been ages since I last fished there.

For trout fishing I would reccomend Bank House, good quality hard fighting fish set in very nice surroundings.

http://www.stocksreservoir.com/bankhouse/index.htm

If you fancy a drive of approx 1 hr and a much bigger place to fish then Stocks is great also, you can get back to the stocks page from the link.

Default august nith fishing

hi stuart
    the nith is a cracking river especialy august,by that time the river is ful of fish with fish coming in of every tide
    i fish the burgh fishings which is from the estuary up to the dgaa water .
    good fly and spinning water ,the river cairn runs in near the top of the beat,this holds the fish back and is a cracking pool
    the burgh water costs£47 permits avaliable from the councill office in dumfries.
    the mid nithsdale beat is right in thornhill they have a number of day tickets which are limited
    if you require any more info
    rivernithfishings.co.uk
    drop me a pm if you require any more info
    tom
    Last edited by longchuck; 15-07-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: wrong location

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I am going to be down in Dunfries / Castle Douglas area around the 2nd to 8th August and was wondering where would be worth fishing. How easy is it to get onto the beats and where / how much would I expect to pay? What are the prospects at this time of year?

I'm also going to Carnforth, Lancaster on the 9th August for a week. Is there anywhere worth fishing in this area for salmon or trout?
    If I were to fish a stocked trout pond do I still need to buy a EA license?

Thanks

Stuart

There is an excellent still water very near to Carnforth called Farletonview Fishery, just off the A6070. Tel. no. 015395 67328. It has rainbows, browns, blues and tigers........barbless hooks only.

I believe they have a website @ www.farletonviewfisheries.co.uk, but I have a leaflet with all the info. Free tea/coffee, hot & cold food, toilets and showers, tackle shop. Use it quite a bit as it has disabled facilities and it's easy access.

Mac
    Last edited by mcminnow; 14-07-2008 at 11:26 AM. Reason: change in website address

Quote Originally Posted by longchuck View Post
    hi stuart
    the nith is a cracking river especialy august,by that time the river is ful of fish with fish coming in of every tide
    i fish the burgh fishings which is from the estuary up to the dgaa water .
    good fly and spinning water ,the river cairn runs in near the top of the beat,this holds the fish back and is a cracking pool
    the burgh water costs£47 permits avaliable from the councill office in dumfries.
    the mid nithsdale beat is right in castle douglas yhey have a number of day tickets which are limited
    if you require any more info
    rivernithfishings.co.uk
    drop me a pm if you require any more info
    tom
    I've driven over the Nith many times and have always thought about fishing it but haven't had the time yet or didn't have my gear. Is the
    burgh fishings dependant on water levels or will it fish in all heights within reason? Is it easy enough to get a permit or are they sold out quite quickly?
    Is the Nith a better prospect than the Annan? It would be nearer to where I'm staying. I take it the Urr needs water to make it fishable. Does the Dee have many salmon?
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish, and he will sit and drink beer all day.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbert View Post
    Stuart when you come down to Lancaster you can fish on the Lune on the EA water. Here is a link to buy your rod licence and also a link for the fishing

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...sion=1&lang=_e

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-...pper-and-lower

The info on the fishing may be out of date as its been ages since I last fished there.

For trout fishing I would reccomend Bank House, good quality hard fighting fish set in very nice surroundings.

http://www.stocksreservoir.com/bankhouse/index.htm

If you fancy a drive of approx 1 hr and a much bigger place to fish then Stocks is great also, you can get back to the stocks page from the link.
    Cheers for the info. Can you still buy the licenses at the post office? I'm still not sure if I'll fish but it's more than likely I will. I thought a trout fishery might be easier than trying to find a salmon/trout river but I still haven't ruled out course fishing as I don't get much of a chance up in Aberdeen.

How does the Lune fish at this time of year? What tackle would I need? 12', 14' or 16' rod I guess it would be the smaller ones but thought I'd ask the question.

Stuart
    Last edited by Stuart; 14-07-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Yes you can still get a licence from the post office

Cheers Wilbert that means I can decide once I get down depending on time and conditions.

Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast