Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Leaving hooks in mouths?

I was watching Henrik Mortensen dvd 'THE SCANDINAVIAN SPEY CAST-II' and i noticed that the hook/flies were left in the mouth of the fish if they were hooked in the bottom jaw. I know the reason was to stop bleeding is this common practice in catch and release?

I would be intrested to hear peoples opinions.

Jimmy

I doubt its common practice, but in some cases maybe it should be? If a barbless/debarbed single hook is well back, near gills etc then cutting it off might be the best option, not so sure a double or treble left in a fish will be less damaging if left in place, the damage done by multiple points might be too much?
    Pesonally I,am switching to barbless singles, at least they may offer more of a chance of a sucsessful release the only exception will be debarbed trebles on rapala,s, but only until I can find a good way of fitting singles?????
    peter

I've read a lot about this subject on other species. Everything that I have ever read says to get the hook out if you can do it. I carry a good set of long-nosed forceps, and I've never failed to be able to quickly take out a hook.
    I suppose a barb has to create some additional damage, but leaving the hook in the fish can cause stress later on that will weaken and perhaps kill the fish.

Thanks for your opinions guys i would like to hear a few more if anybody has one.

On many occasion the hook is easy to get out, but when hooked far back in the bottom of the mouth the hook can pierce the veins running from the heart to the gill plate. Sometimes I have left hooks in knowing that if I remove the hook the fish will undoubtedly begin pumping blood from the gills and will have to be dispatched. There is then the possibility that the hook will dislodge itself and the fish may die anyway, so it is a decision to be made by the angler if and when it arises. I have taken many a hook out only for the fish to bleed and I have to knock it on the head. But I suppose when we are catching fish in the mouth with hooks it is always going to happen now and again even if we intend to put the fish back.

When at work as a ghillie I unhook fish everyday and it is a decision I make at the time. A guest did catch a salmon in late September which had some line hanging out of the mouth, when I looked in there was a fly in the bottom mouth and it was perfectly inclined to take another fly, showing no ill effects. Maybe that says something about leaving the hook in??

Rory
    Last edited by HebGhillie; 26-01-2011 at 08:59 PM.