Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Chinese cock hackles

Question for you all, and please ignore my ignorance if i am wrong but...when you see chinese cock hackles advertised I assume that they mean sourced from china?

If so, should this really be encouraged, if not actively discouraged?

For example, after reading stuff on the internet about chinese sourced fur i will only buy fur from foxy-tails (as i believe that Sue's suppliers have animal welfare accreditation)

Is it time that the fly tying industry started to get more ethical ? Or, at least as ethical as you can get in terms of getting fur and feathers for tying..

Quote Originally Posted by piker View Post
    Question for you all, and please ignore my ignorance if i am wrong but...when you see chinese cock hackles advertised I assume that they mean sourced from china?

If so, should this really be encouraged, if not actively discouraged?

For example, after reading stuff on the internet about chinese sourced fur i will only buy fur from foxy-tails (as i believe that Sue's suppliers have animal welfare accreditation)

Is it time that the fly tying industry started to get more ethical ? Or, at least as ethical as you can get in terms of getting fur and feathers for tying..
    I have to agree with you, as I've recently been turned to the ban chinese furs etc etc (she was fit thats all Im saying) I have seen some hideous videos of what goes on over there reguarding the skinning of animals, no welfare or care is put into it. Animals skinned alive and left to die in agony, trapped, kept in cages for their life with barely any room to move it is shocking and inhumane.

but as a fisherman Im torn as surely when a fish takes a fly, spinner, bait its gots to feel some pain, and as I do this through choice am I just as bad?

I even read someone that the capes we fly tyiers use come from cock fighting birds http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/materials2.shtml

from now on whenever I go to buy capes, furs I am going to phone the companys and ask how the animal was killed, skinned etc etc it may said stupid, but I wouldn't like to think I've made an innocent animal surfer for my pleasure.

and this is comming from an ex infantry soldier lol

Kendo
    Tell the World there is an Invisible Man in the Sky who created the Universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet...and they have to touch it to be sure