Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a salmon

Default Taking a salmon

sorry if this is a silly question, but if we are talking about talking salmon for the purposes of eating, would you not want to take a fish with any colour at all, or is it just a case of the silver the better?

I am purley just asking the question as i practice 99% C&R
    Thanks

Silver the better and the earlier in the season the better as the flesh is at its richest. Before it uses it body reserves to colour up and make eggs or milt.

Quote Originally Posted by skyhook View Post
    Silver the better and the earlier in the season the better as the flesh is at its richest. Before it uses it body reserves to colour up and make eggs or milt.
    Thanks for this, so If I am right in England you cant take any salmon before the 16th June? so i presume there is still a good chance of catching a takeable fish latter than this?

and what would be deamed to much colour to take?

sorry i bet this sounds daft but after 15 years of being a trout and grayling fisherman, I am new to whole salmon thing

Quote Originally Posted by Nath View Post
    Thanks for this, so If I am right in England you cant take any salmon before the 16th June? so i presume there is still a good chance of catching a takeable fish latter than this?

sorry i bet this sounds daft but after 15 years of being a trout and grayling fisherman, I am new to whole salmon thing
    I can only take a guess as you can see im from Ireland, depends on the river and when it gets its runs of fish. But it would be reasonable to say you could catch a fresh fish in June and be able to keep it? The amount of colour is a hard one to answer, the fresher and silver the better. You will learn over time whats acceptable to your river system to take.

Generally most Salmon rivers in the UK will get at least a trickle of fresh Salmon at all times of the year...

Thanks for advice, appricated.
    one last question a grisle, i understand the meaning of this but do most people return these or are the classed the same as a salmon in that respect?

one last question a grisle, i understand the meaning of this but do most people return these or are the classed the same as a salmon in that respect?
    They're all Salmon...the only difference between different runs is how long they've spent at sea feeding, and how long they can last in the river before spawning....Grilse have usually spent only 1 winter at sea feeding and arrive in mid summer. Traditionally the Grilse run was the biggest run of the year in terms of numbers, and therefore took the biggest hit....therefore the grilse numbers have been in steady decline for some time..

People have different opinions on putting fish back..some kill everything, some put everything back.

A grilse returned is a fish that is more likely to breed than a dead one. In my opinion it is no more or no less important to the Salmon population than any other fish from a distinct run.

No, but they should !!

Guys,

Ive moved this here as it was an entirely different subject to the original thread and could support a thread of its own.

My own opinion; the fresher the better.

Hi,

Sorry for going off topic spinger and cheers for the advice.

Nathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast