Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Galway Advice

Default Galway Advice

I'm looking for some advice about the area around Galway City.

We are planing a family holiday there in the summer (end of July beginning of August). My wife's Aunt lives near Tuam - a nice farm with a good stretch of the Clare River running through it but it's a bit too quiet to keep our teenage kids amused. We were thinking of trying to rent some self catering close to Galway City maybe Salthill or Spiddal. I've never been to that part of Galway, what is a it like? Can anyone recommend any accomodation?

More importantly what about the fishing? Despite all the game fishing available I'm actually hoping I might get in a bit SWFF as it will make a change from the fishing in Perthshire but any and all advice will be lapped up...

Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Strathearn View Post

We are planing a family holiday there in the summer (end of July beginning of August). My wife's Aunt lives near Tuam - a nice farm with a good stretch of the Clare River running through it but it's a bit too quiet to keep our teenage kids amused. We were thinking of trying to rent some self catering close to Galway City maybe Salthill or Spiddal. I've never been to that part of Galway, what is a it like? Can anyone recommend any accomodation?

More importantly what about the fishing? Despite all the game fishing available I'm actually hoping I might get in a bit SWFF as it will make a change from the fishing in Perthshire but any and all advice will be lapped up...

Norm

Spiddal's pretty qiet too..used to spend the holidays out there as a child in a self catering place thats attached to the hotel..not bad

Salthill's probably the place for the kids, although you're effectively in Galway city. We usually camp, when down these days..but have stayed in the University campus which is reasonable price, reasonable standard and between galway and salthill - Bishop carey road I think...Also Stayed in a few of the decent hotels in the city centre too when with the woman..

Plenty of self catering places on the shore road towards spiddal from salthill...

For the best salt fishing you need to go a good bit past spiddal towards the Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Strathearn View Post

Norm

norm drop me a pm with exact dates and i will take you off fishing,spiddal has become a busy wee town even in winter,but trying to find something apart from beach,beach and beach,will be hard,you could drive up the road half hour and get the ferry from rosaveal to the aran islands for a day trip,