Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Murmansk Flights

For anyone here thinking of going to the Kola, there are flights available from Gatwick for 307 with Rossiya. No long road trip from Kirkenes/Ivalo and probably 25% of the Frontiers/Finnair charter price. I have booked mine!

good man , thanks for that .
    SUBWAY - EAT FRESH

That's one hell of a saving!

Requires a stop in St. Peterburg, 2 flights per day (at least on Saturdays summer 2011) St. Petersburg-Murmansk departing 06:30 or 19:00, Murmansk-St. Petersburg departing 09:30 or 22:00.

The overnights and waiting time needed to use these flights is a nightmare and for me would make the cost saving very hard to justify, especially as a percentage of the whole trip cost. If the tour companies could avoid the costly charter while still providing a smooth hassle free journey they would. The fact they dont says a lot IMHO.

Its great to save money but if it results in a significant disruption to what would be a more seamless journey (with the tour companies) I think its worth paying the extra money.

Ive traveled to Kola both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    The overnights and waiting time needed to use these flights is a nightmare and for me would make the cost saving very hard to justify, especially as a percentage of the whole trip cost. If the tour companies could avoid the costly charter while still providing a smooth hassle free journey they would. The fact they dont says a lot IMHO.

Its great to save money but if it results in a significant disruption to what would be a more seamless journey (with the tour companies) I think its worth paying the extra money.

Ive traveled to Kola both ways.
    You are definently correct there Alan

I thought it was a direct flight to Murmansk , which would be very handy
    SUBWAY - EAT FRESH

Default Murmansk Flights

Hi Gentlemen,

I believe Frankle is talking about flying to Ivalo/Finland (4 h flighttime, 1 Stop) and driving by car to Murmansk. But either Kirkenes or Ivalo are Towns in EU Countries, where you are not allowed to drive with a rental car through customs into Russia towards Murmansk. Any other possibilities here or somebody knows rentalcar-Companies that allow crossing the russian border?

The other schedule was Gatwick - Petersburg - Murmansk?
    Last edited by laksoman; 19-01-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: writing fault

Yes the flights are Gatwick, St Petersburg, Murmansk. An overnight stop is required in St Petersburg each way, the flight leaves first thing in the morning going up.
    All three times that I have travelled on the Frontiers flight an overnight has been required in Helsinki going out.
    I have also travelled via Kirkenes and Ivalo and long road trips are required for both. As there is a long journey to the river the next day, a flight to Murmansk has to be the way to go.
    The flights fit my transfers perfectly and an extra overnight seems a small price to pay.
    Interestingly, Aeroflot told me that they have no flights to Murmansk.

I am just working on the subject and will probably fly via Helsinki to Ivalo. There are people im Murmansk offering a shuttle service but they cannot give exact prices as the price for diesel in changing every day. However I think that it is not more than 50,-- Euros per person which would make it reasonable.
    Icelander05

Icelander05, There is a company that operates private cars and a cheap bus service from Kirkenes. I didn't have any issues with pricing from them. Apologies if you already knew this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast