Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ethics 2, fish or no fish

The salmon season on my local river, the River Wear, starts on the 1st February. Now the Wear is known as a Seatrout river and a back end Salmon river, these facts would tend to be proven by the fish counter at Durham which shows very little activity at all until after May.

Well here is my dilemma I have walked a couple of stretches of the river this week for short periods of time and seen two fish leap clear of the water, I believe these fish were probably Kelts due to the fact that in years previous only 2-3 salmon are shown to have passed Durham at this time of the year.
    Now if i do fish for them and they are clean fish I would of cause have to put them back, prior to 16th June, As a foot note I returned over 75% last year after that date.
    However if the fish are Kelts which i suspect, Should I go fishing for them anyway. Whats the difference catching a fresh fish and returning it or a kelt and returning it.
    Your thoughts please. Or my season will not start until MAY For the Sea Trout or July for the Salmon.

I'm not sure but I would suspect that a spent fish would have used up most of its fat content and therefore, the less energy it expends the better it would be for the fish.

Again this is my own personal opinion rather than any scientific fact.

My river opens in April but I'll not be doing much fishing till late June.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

No harm in a day out as there is always a chance of a fresh fish.

Just get the Kelts in quick and revive them well.

It's like the River Drowse opening on 1st January every year, when there are still fish spawning and spent fish all through the river.

Having said that, I once saw a Kelt caught on the Drowse in May one year.

Want to get fishing despite the kelts.

Have a nice relaxing days/afternoon/mornings fishing. Practice the casting, play any kelts hard and fast. And remember your camera.

Thats how all my seasons start.

I fished the first three days of February on the lower Tweed for a couple of years running, and caught nothing but kelts, and heard of no fresh fish being caught anywhere else on the river during the periods I fished.

One year I had nine kelts to 18lbs over the three days and consequently decided against going back for the same three days, despite my two fishing buddies continuing the exercise.

Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I have enough fishing for fresh fish throughout a season without wasting precious resources and time fishing for kelts.

20 minutes drive to the TYNE from the WEAR and a chance of a springer, why bother fishing it..BJA
    EVERY CHANCE OF A FISH IF THEY ARE THEREHidden Content

BJA
    Agreed, not far for me to go but I have no idea where to get day or season tickets, and looking at the Tyne fish counter records, there not much better for Jan Feb and March than on the Wear. After that they pick up quite a bit to more, to two and a half times the amount of the Wear fish over the year. Again I think there will be a bigger chance of kelts than Springers early on, Feb., March even April.
    Any advice on day tickets, club water below say Hexham or down stream of A68 gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by russ1610 View Post
    The salmon season on my local river, the River Wear, starts on the 1st February. Now the Wear is known as a Seatrout river and a back end Salmon river, these facts would tend to be proven by the fish counter at Durham which shows very little activity at all until after May.

Well here is my dilemma I have walked a couple of stretches of the river this week for short periods of time and seen two fish leap clear of the water, I believe these fish were probably Kelts due to the fact that in years previous only 2-3 salmon are shown to have passed Durham at this time of the year.
    Now if i do fish for them and they are clean fish I would of cause have to put them back, prior to 16th June, As a foot note I returned over 75% last year after that date.
    However if the fish are Kelts which i suspect, Should I go fishing for them anyway. Whats the difference catching a fresh fish and returning it or a kelt and returning it.
    Your thoughts please. Or my season will not start until MAY For the Sea Trout or July for the Salmon.
    If you "know" there are no fresh fish about why not just use a piece of wool instead of a hook...????
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Gray Monkey, Thats casting practice not fishing, and I need to do some of that as well. Think Ill end up going down and giving it a go, looks like others do. As stated by them if i get a Kelt ill just play hard and recover long, Mind i would have to do the same with a springer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast