Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Trying Something New

It is very easy to get into a rut in Salmon fishing. The same, or at least very similar, tackle, tactics, casting style, flies/lures etc. can become a habit. So at the outset of every season I consider if there is anything new that I can introduce that might enhance my chances of catching, or at least of increasing my anticipation of catching and generally enjoying my fishing. For me this year it means seriously including the 'induced take' method of chalkstream salmon anglers who use simply dressed, weighted bugs in known lies, cast slightly upstream to provoke a take. Might dress said bugs in lots of flexi-floss dancing legs too.

I am curious to see if other forum members have decided to try something new (for them) this season, that they themselves, and perhaps, others reading about them, might try.

Mick
    Last edited by Mickfish; 17-01-2011 at 10:47 AM.

My challenge this year is to learn to cast a double hander and catch a Salmon on my new fly only ticket (spinning is allowed when the water is up) but no worming which is a shock to the system.

I intend to give some of the myriads of soft rubber worms/shads a go, they catch just about everything else that swims, and there are some really good looking patterns available that just scream salmon, time will tell. Gave some a go last year and caught both sea & brown trout, chub,pike and perch, had a couple of salmon follow, but not take, but then the shrimp/prawn fishing kicked in and I got a bit sidetracked, hard to ignore a really productive method?
    peter

Im going out to the Ponoi again in July with a group of forum members.

If conditions are as they should be for July I plan to fish nothing but skated and hitched flies on a floating line. I want to get one on an earplug if I can

I want to keep trying to improve my ability to catch holding fish that aren't that quick to take a fly. I've caught them on stripped sunrays, tiny black flies, and dry flies, and often they will respond to one without taking the other. I want to broaden that list of tricks, and dry flies with a dropper of some kind, hitched tiny tubes, and drifting nymphs are three of the techniques I want to experiment more with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickfish View Post

I am curious to see if other forum members have decided to try something new (for them) this season
    River trouting for me.

Kitted myself out last summer , but didn't quite get round to doing it.
    Last edited by ibm59; 20-01-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Default Springer

I understand that one of your group going to th Ponoi is going to try a fluffy home tied fly called the 'Pink Beaver', based on a nice lttle number he spotted in the M&S lingerie department - no it's not me.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    River trouting for me.

Kitted myself out last summer , but didn't quite get round to doing it.
    It think you'll love it Brian - and dare I say it but it's a lot more skillful than salmon fishing in many ways. One thing that helped me a lot with my river fishing have been the Oliver Edwards DVDs on "Essential Skills" for river fishing approches and fly tying. I learned such a lot from them. They are also beautifully filmed, especially the ones on the River Wharfe. And, Oliver has his own inimitable and unpretentious style of imparting his superb knowledge and experience.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Im going out to the Ponoi again in July with a group of forum members.

If conditions are as they should be for July I plan to fish nothing but skated and hitched flies on a floating line. I want to get one on an earplug if I can
    Alan, I'm actually busy at the moment tying a lot of saltwater flies for bass in the UK and a crack at some tropical species when I'm on hol with my better half in the Spring. One fly I'm about to have a go at is the "Gurgler" fly. Which looks pretty straight forward to tie and in a recent DVD I watched I saw what a great attractor fly it can be. Of course, you may be aware of it already but I'm damned if it wouldn't work for salmon and certainly for seat trout.

The link below might help those interested:

http://www.jackgartside.com/step_double_gurgler.htm

Mick
    Last edited by Mickfish; 20-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.

I would like a fish on a hitched fly, had loads of offers and bangs but none have held on so far. Trouble is I usually get bored stripping line pretty quickly and go back to conventional tactics.