Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default River Itchen Salmon Fishing

Hi

I've recently moved to Winchester and am keen to fish for salmon next season on my local river.

I've been recommended to fish the Lower Itchen Fishery water as this represents your best chance of a fish.

Does anyone have any experience fishing the Itchen and could provide me with some much needed advice, recommendations of where to fish, etc!

Many thanks!

Hi
    See www.itchen-fishing.co.uk for information.
    Had some good days there in the late summer using nymphs/shrimp.
    Haven't fished it in the Spring, but believe the salmon usually run a bit later.
    Hampshire Avon and the Test would also be worth a look.
    Sean

Also give Neil Freeman a call on 07785 281349 for Salmon and Trout fishing at Broadlands (Test). Would not waste my money on the Avon.
    Last edited by Deveron; 15-01-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Default lub

There is an open day on the Somerley Estate on the Avon coming up - the 5th of Feb I think. It would be well worth getting along to that and meeting the guys who fish there (there's casting lessons, trade stands etc I believe).

You could always join the Sailisbury and District Angling Club and the Christchurch Club. They both have some limited salmon fishing, some better sea trout fishing and some world class trout fishing for a very reasonable price. The SDAC has a long waiting list for the trout sections (4 or 5 years I think) but you can fish the salmon bits on a non premium ticket and there are no waiting lists of that.

Dont forget the Usk, Wye and Severn aren't too far away. Neither is the M6

If your coming down from Scotland remember to get your migratory fishing licence (aka Tax). Its a big fine if your caught!

Many thanks for the advice guys. I'll enjoy exploring my new local patch over the next few months!

Incidentally, I went for a short walk along the river yesterday and spotted three salmon. Hopefully, this is a good sign of size of the stock of fish in the river!

Woodmill Pool at the bottom of the Itchen is a (too) well known Salmon and Seatrout fishery in Southampton, run by the council. It is not a pretty place to fish and takes a bit of learning because it fills up and drains with the tide (plus a rebound rise on the fall). I stopped fishing it a few years ago, as it was not being well run (but this may have changed). However, when it is on song, it can deliver the goods spectacularly. There are some big sea trout in there with 6-7lbers quite common and doubles coming out each year. The Salmon are much more hit and miss and most used to come out on bait. I had one on fly just before dark, but have not fished it in the day for Salmon. You need to book through the website below (this could be a bit chaotic in the past).

http://www.woodmill.co.uk/activities...ourses/fishing

For Seatrout, the season really starts in June, when there are few bigger sea trout and the odd salmon. I always felt that the peak of Sea trout was the last two weeks of August and first two of September. Others may disagree. At this time there are good numbers, not too stale and big fish around. Later in the season you get more finnock.

Timing the tide is also important, as the pool fishes best at low tide (I have caught virtually nothing when the tide is in). the tide is considerable, probably 8-10 feet, which entirely changes where you can fish. I used to book the fishing by looking at Southampton tide times, ideally will a low tide in the evening after dark. This should give up to 4-5 hours with the water at its best.It is certainly better to go first with someone who has experience of the pool, as it is not river fishing in the conventional sense. Sea trout is now 215 for three rods per night. However, I think it is more fun with two, plus if the fish are scarce, you can really scratch around with three rods.

Another alternative is Testwood at the bottom of the Test. I fished this a few times and although there are some huge sea trout, it is probably more known as a Salmon fishery. Again I have not fished it for a while, but it was very expensive.

There is a view that the Sea trout in the lower stretched of these heavily stocked rivers are "wash-backs". I.e. they drop down the river and feed in the estuaries before coming back into the river. In my experience these fish do not fight as hard as Sea trout from wild rivers, so there could be something in this view. However, the fish are big...

Hi nalinjay1974

I'm familliar with Woodmill having fished it sucessfully now quite a few times. It is really a Seatrout pool as ailser's elver says with the occasional Salmon. The council now run the booking of the pool with a little more co-ordination but places fill up very quickly; if you want a slot for a good night seatrouting, then you do need to email the link above soon!

It is a very peculiar pool and as already suggested, you really shouldn't fish it without someone else who knows it! I tend to fish it with 3 other friends and we rotate; one rod sits out, the other 3 fish; rotate every 20 - 30 mins. It gives a break opportunity (I would fish all night if I could!!) and also someone on hand to help land any larger fish. It's also cheaper splitting 215 between 4 rather than 3.

Tides don't really affect the fishing; you just have to have every weight of line set up beforehand on a group of say 3-4 rods and be prepared to switch and change tactics frequently according to the volume of water in the pool. I've fished fast sinkers through to floaters all in one night. Having said that, I've always preferred fishing low tide as it opens up the far side of the pool to wading opportunities.

PM me if you want to know more, I live locally.

Where were the salmon you saw in the Itchen?

I,ve had some really good days on the Itchen, can hold a lot of fish, especially July/August. Early fish are tricky, but some decent size fish certainly run the river, april/may gives a good chance of a fish, but they seem to be far more mobile than the summer fish.I can give you a heads up on the beats on the fishery, send me a PM.
    The Test is much harder, and far fewer fish, but Broadlands is a lovely, quiet place to fish, I,am currently trying to change my day on there for this season, so hopefully that happens and I can give it another season. I fish the Itchen on a day ticket basis, so i can fish at optimum times that suit me.
    peter

Great info. many thanks.

I saw the salmon below the bridge in st cross. The one below the mill house if you know it. Five Bridges Road if you are coming off the main road.

I'd love to know who owns that stretch because I could walk from my house to fish it!

I did also see a fish on the free stretch in town between the two weirs. It had a lot of white fungus on it which is a shame.

I think that stretch you are talking about is run by the Portsmouth Services Club.

I believe you have to be current or ex forces to qualify, but this could well be wrong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast