Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a Diary

Default Keeping a Diary

This is something i have done for many years to record catches, river heights, conditions etc.. I was just wondering how common this is these days. I love at this time of year reading back and generally i can recall most of the fish after a prompt from my diaries.

Quote Originally Posted by pot belly View Post
    This is something i have done for many years to record catches, river heights, conditions etc.. I was just wondering how common this is these days. I love at this time of year reading back and generally i can recall most of the fish after a prompt from my diaries.
    funnily enough i started one last year, still got a good few years to fill it up yet
    Hit And Hope Merchant! =D

I was on the verge of starting one at the start of last season, after nearly thirty years as an off-and-on salmon angler.

Then I thought,

"What about the 577 salmon that I've caught and counted but never recorded, they won't feature in it, so why bother starting one now?"

It was just plain laziness at the end of the day.

I will make a concerted effort to do one this year....or will I?

I started doing it a few years ago and i ended up half way through the season stopping filling it in. Id probably be better off with a pocket sized one and take it to the bank with me in my wading jacket. I may give it another bash at the start of the season.

I have always been pretty strict with keeping it up to date. At times i wonder why i bother, salmon are such fickle creatures.. trying to work them out just confuses me even more!!!!

I started last january after a relatively successful and fulfilling first salmon season. I started with a few pages outlining the trips that had resulted in fish and the tackle I was using. I also included costs of fishing, in my mind this would be an interesting thing for people to read in years to come.
    Last season resulted in no fish and my enthusiasm and desire for recording the blank days and rushed trips wained.
    This evening I read over what I had written, full of optimism and enthusiasm for the new season and have decided to forget about last year and use that enthusiasm to have a more positive season this year.
    I use a large moleskine diary and I do keep my permits and day tickets as well. I had in my mind a sort of scrap book, I think that would be nice to look back on in years to come.
    Pot Belly I'd love to read your diary entry from last Spring on the Finn. I bet that would make some reading!
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

Smile

Andy,
    30th April last year on the Finn was/is and will always be a highlight in my salmon fishing life. I have fished that beat hundreds of times and never had action like that during the spring. Like many others i have had exceptional days with grilse over the years but that day was extra special. Hopefully it will be repeated (i must gave helmie some credit though, it was his little allister they seemed to like)
    It does remind you that its not always good or bad and over time things even out.
    This year will be a good one Andy..

I admire people who take the time to record their outings..

I used to do it.....as I also used to record my ornithology outings..but simply got too lazy. At the end of a days fishing i'm lucky to be able to stand up straight, never mind make a record of my fishing..

I salute those that do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    t.....as I also used to record my ornithology outings...
    ****, it's orange anorak and binocular boy!

hi pot belly.i have been keeping records of any salmon,trout and sea trout since the mid 80 s i ve caught.i can recall every happy day spent fishing, bliss.i record the dates rivers ,beats,weather ,lures .weights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast