Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hughs fish fight / Fish discards

OK lads this is the link to sign the petition for Hugh's Fish Fight,which is on Ch4 all this week. If you don't want to receive mail reference the subject then tick the relevant boxes but please do sign up and try to make a difference...

http://www.fishfight.net

Just signed, thanks for the heads up....
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Just signed up and told my dad to aswell.
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((º>` · . . ·
    ` · . . · ` · . . . ><(((º>

signed up, and i'll be telling other people to get on it.
    "I almost stabbed me eye out on a pushbike and that REALLY hurt." Martin, G. (2011).

Hidden Content

i signed it too. although guys i think yous are missing the point a bit. with the type of fishing that this happens in the show there is absoulty nothing them men can do about it.they tried new nets with bigger mesh and even some escape routes but much of the same occurs.
    moreover if these men didnt have quotas and were allowed to keep the fish they wer previously throwing away then where does it stop in the sence that these guys will keep fishing till stocks disapear altogether as they would be gettin paid for it...
    i dont think there is a solution to this unless trawling was banned altogether but this will never happen. furthermore although the uk might introduce rgulations for their fleet this does not regulate any spanish french danish etc boats cming into the north sea if their are outside uk natioal waters(approx 10 miles or so if i can remmember right.)

in ireland the wer thinking about closing off an area of water for fishing for a number of years. almost like a nation park at sea. the thinking behind this was that fish could come and go as they pleased seeking refuge an be able to spawn and eat in peace then in the future there wud be abundant amount of fish in the area they would spill out to furture afield. however imo this is a limited solution too.as trawlers from other nations could still fish these waters.

although not a nice way to look at things at least the fish threw away will go back into the ecosystem and feed other fish.

a total new way if fishing is needed but until then it will never happen

Quote Originally Posted by jamescasey View Post
    i signed it too. although guys i think yous are missing the point a bit. with the type of fishing that this happens in the show there is absoulty nothing them men can do about it.they tried new nets with bigger mesh and even some escape routes but much of the same occurs.
    moreover if these men didnt have quotas and were allowed to keep the fish they wer previously throwing away then where does it stop in the sence that these guys will keep fishing till stocks disapear altogether as they would be gettin paid for it...
    i dont think there is a solution to this unless trawling was banned altogether but this will never happen. furthermore although the uk might introduce rgulations for their fleet this does not regulate any spanish french danish etc boats cming into the north sea if their are outside uk natioal waters(approx 10 miles or so if i can remmember right.)

in ireland the wer thinking about closing off an area of water for fishing for a number of years. almost like a nation park at sea. the thinking behind this was that fish could come and go as they pleased seeking refuge an be able to spawn and eat in peace then in the future there wud be abundant amount of fish in the area they would spill out to furture afield. however imo this is a limited solution too.as trawlers from other nations could still fish these waters.

although not a nice way to look at things at least the fish threw away will go back into the ecosystem and feed other fish.

a total new way if fishing is needed but until then it will never happen
    James what I think they shoould do is limit the amount of days a trawler can go to sea per year.
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((º>` · . . ·
    ` · . . · ` · . . . ><(((º>

Would it work if each boat was given a weight quota - irrelevant as to what species were landed? Currently they are given a weight quota per species, anything over quota goes overboard and is wasted. This way fish would be caught but not wasted. A good idea about areas being given Reserve status - i.e. no trawling at all in these areas, leave them as a sanctury? Just an idea, do not know if that would work as I am not involved at all in the industry. Open to feedback................... Tyke777

Marine reserves will work, they have been tried in some parts of the world with great results, fairly small scale, but effective.
    Ditching the EEC species quota system would be a start, but a viable alternative might be hard to work out, but anything that stops the huge waste has to be worth the effort

Just signed it there...Although the drift nets are gone..we cant forget the effects that commercial fisheries are still having on our salmon stocks.
    Post-smolts follow a similar migratory path to the shoals of mackerel that are targeted by the large Russian factory trawlers using massive surface nets.
    Research has shown large scale mackerel fishing pose a serious threat to salmon.
    Irish micro-tagged salmon post-smolts have recently been caught in the Norwegian Sea in the areas where the mackerel fisheries operate. Unfortunately like everything its more or less impossible to quantify the numbers of smolts taken...
    Last edited by Finperfect; 13-01-2011 at 08:06 PM.

[QUOTE=Fabregas9200;319908]James what I think they shoould do is limit the amount of days a trawler can go to sea per year.

i kno wat you are saying. as yet a regulation like this is not in place.however there is regulations to stop boats fishing in a certain area for cmore than a certain amount of days. which means the boats just go else wer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast