Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Cold weather affecting spawning?

Hi! Just wondering. With most of our salmon and seatrout arriving at the redds in beginning of november to spawn, will the colder weather and water affect their spawning times?

From mid november the temperature plummeted then the snow came then the vv low temps with most northern rivers frozen bank to bank.

What are your thoughts on this? I hope all is well as most rivers had a bumper run last season and hope all isnt lost!!

Quote Originally Posted by mac0.1 View Post
    Hi! Just wondering. With most of our salmon and seatrout arriving at the redds in beginning of november to spawn, will the colder weather and water affect their spawning times?

From mid november the temperature plummeted then the snow came then the vv low temps with most northern rivers frozen bank to bank.

What are your thoughts on this? I hope all is well as most rivers had a bumper run last season and hope all isnt lost!!
    cant see how,i can remember the river we fish freezing solid when we where younger and the salmon run was unbelieveable.
    if anything the weather seems to be going back to the freezing winters i remember and keeping the water low,not like the mild winters we have seen over the last ten or so years,personaly i think if the waters not high or in spate all nov,dec and most of january the fish have a better chance to do there duty and the eggs are allowed to settle in the gravel and not get washed away.just a thought!
    Last edited by Bruce M; 14-01-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: shmelling i mean spelling.