Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Time to kick out Salmond, the Alex variety ?

Good to see me Salmond protecting the Wild Scottish Atlantic Salmon...

Best quote in this atricle:

"Even if 1% of the people of China decide to take the opportunity to eat Scottish salmon, then we'll have to double production in Scotland”

First Minister Alex Salmond

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-12169191

Just what our diminished stocks need - more fish farms...

The muppet was on BBC Scotland news this morning.

The fish farmers must be wetting themselves laughing.

Ive always imagined that salmon fishing in Scotland would support more jobs and bring in more money than salmon farming, looking at the figures I guess it doesnt.

"It already supports 6,000 jobs in Scotland, worth £500m to the economy, with exports worth nearly £300m"

If salmon farming brings in so much to a struggling Scottish economy then it doesnt look good over the long term. Does anyone know what the income estimated from salmon angling and its associated industries is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
    The muppet was on BBC Scotland news this morning.
    That does it for me.
    You just lost this man's vote , Soapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post

"It already supports 6,000 jobs in Scotland"
    Last edited by ibm59; 12-01-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Default Costs

Ive always imagined that salmon fishing in Scotland would support more jobs and bring in more money than salmon farming, looking at the figures I guess it doesnt.

"It already supports 6,000 jobs in Scotland, worth £500m to the economy, with exports worth nearly £300m"

If salmon farming brings in so much to a struggling Scottish economy then it doesnt look good over the long term.
    Yep there is no way the salmon fishing can produce £500 million in this wee country when most of the west coast can hardly produce decent runs of fish, unfortunately with China now opening her boarders to Scottish produce the way is clear for even more profits and perhaps the start of an offshore farm boom as they said 1% of China buying fish is a helluva lot of fish, at this time of austerity it will be even harder to convince any one that this will not be good in the long run, unfortunately Bruce Sanderson's foil to the farms wasn't that great and the biggest problem for the west coast is it's still relatively far off from anyone so out of mind out of site or put another what what the eye doesn't see the heart doesn't grieve.

Look on the bright side guys. If exports of farmed salmon double they might just dual the A9

Default A9

Look on the bright side guys. If exports of farmed salmon double they might just dual the A9
    Dual for that sort of money I'd want Scotland's first three lane motorway that goes from one point in the country to the very north, and not the half arsed dual carriageways that masquerade as motorways, but the chances of that are the same as salmon farming stopping in Scotland, inward investment aye right

Default Hmmmm oor wee Braveheart Premier

It's amazing how Politicians (UK Government incl.) can drop all their ethics/morals for the sniff of some cash to fill empty coffers…

I believe Rolls Royce posted an 800% increase in sales in China…

Who else oh yup Microsoft……

We are in a big queue thats for sure but what galls me the most is how China still side steps The Human Rights Issue along with many Environmental Issues especially regarding endangered species….

It doesn't look good gents n ladies it doesn't look good.

Right better get the half full cup head on now

Can not get the figures to add up.
    6,000 jobs. rearing/packing/transport/exporting, hard to belive.
    £500 million turnover worth £300 milion exports. Where does the other £200 million come from?
    Reads more like someone from uni. in there first year.
    Untill the anglers get rid of a lot of the bodies representing us and get behind one voice we are just kidding ourselfs.
    Know this will not happen though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast