Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rods,rods,rods,tackle,tackle,tackle!!!!!

was looking at a t&s magazine earlier from 2008,anyway an advert for the new g-tec rods born in 2007,

anyway during 2010 these rods have been sold at half price because they are discontinued or out of fashion,

so 3 years date life for a rod,from birth til death,is this craic not just a bit of bull,to entice us anglers at the time impulse buying or have the latest gadget,would we if we had sense just stick with an old banger that will hold a fish,

Quote Originally Posted by springer mac View Post
    is this craic not just a bit of bull,to entice us anglers at the time impulse buying or have the latest gadget,would we if we had sense just stick with an old banger that will hold a fish,
    Yes, almost pure bull. I suppose there are new developments coming along all the time, but on the whole the R&D depts. moves far slower than marketing depts. Real step change is pretty rare, I think.

That's why, as I said in another thread recently, I buy almost all my significant items of tackle second hand. But long live the tackle tarts who like to buy the newest and latest kit in the first place - without them doing so I wouldn't be able to hoover up their discards cheaply when they're drawn in by the promise of the next big thing!

A lot of sense spoken there IMO, I try my best to hold on and buy such items later when they are getting sold off that way I feel I am not getting a bargain but, buying at the REAL price. I know a lot of peeps will disagree with what I am saying but that's the way I see it.

I have a gtec rod and got it for 160 compared to 495 in my local tackle shop. It is a single hander and a lovely rod to use. I always wondered if they make them for half the price in china.
    Last edited by Fabregas9200; 10-01-2011 at 10:29 PM.
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((>` . .
    ` . . ` . . . ><(((>

Excellent post CharlieH - a man after my own heart.

I'm looking for value, as well as quality these days.

Loomis NRX rods 700+... Hardy Sintrix 500 + Sage 600....

Will stick with what I have this year, unless I try some that really impresses me.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/
    Last edited by rrw35; 10-01-2011 at 11:12 PM.

The flip side is that if you buy top quality gear you may get many more years out of it while it stays in vogue and its technology isn't constantly being superseded. I am still using a 12 year-old Loomis GLX which is as good, and as current, as the day I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    The flip side is that if you buy top quality gear you may get many more years out of it while it stays in vogue and its technology isn't constantly being superseded. I am still using a 12 year-old Loomis GLX which is as good, and as current, as the day I bought it.
    i am talking about gear which only lasts on the market for a few years,in this case 3 years in post 1

i know what your saying about quality

Quote Originally Posted by springer mac View Post
    i am talking about gear which only lasts on the market for a few years,in this case 3 years in post 1
    I hear what you're saying Gerry. A strong case for buying the best you can since buying cheap could turn out to be a false economy.

Although having said that, the Greys rods are as good today as the year they were launched, they just aren't that much better than the competition to be able to keep their place in a very crowded and rapidly evolving part of the market.

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    I hear what you're saying Gerry. A strong case for buying the best you can since buying cheap could turn out to be a false economy.

Although having said that, the Greys rods are as good today as the year they were launched, they just aren't that much better than the competition to be able to keep their place in a very crowded and rapidly evolving part of the market.
    very true but i bet some people who paid over the odds during last season to be used a couple of times to find now they are half price and headed for the discontinued heap.

so say they broke with a lifetime warrenty what would happen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast