Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dream Salmon destination

Dear all

I am a medical student and an avid salmon fisherman - usually these two past times tend to interfere with each other one way or another. However at the beginning of the final year of my medical degree i undertake a medical elective. This is an opportunity for me to study and practice medicine anywhere in the world. Some use it as a chance to help those in less fortunate parts of the world, others use it as a chance to practice in some of the most cutting edge medical teams in the world, there are some who simply use it as an excuse for a holiday..........

In my mind if this is going to be my last significant trip abroad why mix medicine with an incredible fishing destination.

ideally such a destination would be english speaking - to make the academic side of the trip slightly easier.

So, if you were in my position and were going fishing anywhere in the world in august/september time where would you go?

(so far i am thinking of vancouver for its access to BC, NZ would be great for trout at this time of year - i have been lucky enough to fish the tongariro before)

the stinchar in ayrshire

Hi,
    sounds like a good idea!
    For salmon:
    Iceland: Not english spoken
    Kola/Murmansk: Not english spoken (but definately good fishing right in the Kola river - although not the best in Kola)
    Eastern Canada: English spoken (!). There is New Bruinswick (you need a guid as foreign angler, so it will be a bit expensive), Rivers on the Gaspe peninsula (maybe a cheaper alternative) or New Foundland (have not been there)

OR

You go for saltwater fishing, maybe in Costa Rica, Sychelles ...

Have fun and enjoy your time. You will remember in your first night-shifts.

Best

David

I know that Peter Power has a doctor based in Rynda camp on the ASR throughout the season. A couple of months there at the back end of the season would be interesting...

What about the Falklands?

Nice position to be in, British columbia, northern end would take some beating, the thought of a huge steelhead, salmon on steroids, nice!
    peter

after seeing the dvd, ASR without doubt. I will have a trip there one day before i shuffle off this mortal coil

Hi,
    the ASR is one good pick for sure...but coachman needs a place that is accepted to do his medical elective. I doubt that this is possible. Anyway, coachman, check it out (and take some pictures when you are there).
    Maybe the place should be somewhere in between "holidays" and "studying". What I mean: You should learn something at least in your elective place. After you are finished you will need it (I am a doctor myself).
    Good luck!
    David

Anchorage, Alaska

British Columbia for definite, wish I was young enough to emigrate and work out there myself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast