Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 56
  1. #1

    Default using a rod rest.

    Is it true that using a rod rest whilst fishing for migratory fish is illegal?

    If so, how long has this been the case?

    And does anyone KNOW of any convictions of anyone for using a rod rest?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,510

    Default rod rest

    By law you must have contact with the rod if not you maybe done with 6 different charges

  3. #3

    Default

    its classed as a "set line"mate.ive not heard of anybody being charged but that doesnt mean nothing..personaly i think as long as your sitting beside it who cares but thats just me!!!when we went fishing with my dad we always took a rod rest but i suppose fishing has changed a lot in the last 20 years.......
    °

  4. #4

    Default

    Seems like a bit of a silly rule...I've used rests before...for stationary worming..on certain beats like the finn's leap section - on this beat you had no option but to be stationary..a rest allowed you to take a break from holding a rod in the same spot for hours on end.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dumfriesshire
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    It may depend on where you are.

    It is in Scotland, came in when the Scottish Fisheries legislation was reviwed a few years ago.

    You are only allowed to fish with one rod at a time and it must be held at all times.
    This came in with the ban on nets with knots,the use of tailers and live fish baits.
    I think there may have been some exemption for salmon fishing from a boat, harling, can't remember exactly as it has been some time since I had to deal with it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    the river
    Posts
    1,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_fly_man View Post
    Is it true that using a rod rest whilst fishing for migratory fish is illegal?

    You dont say where you fish. If it is in Scotland then read page 12 of the attached document. It should clear things up for you and explain the answer to your question.
    http://www.oqps.gov.uk/legislation/a...0070012_en.pdf

    Once again this question highlights the need for individuals to learn about fisheries law.
    I hope this helps

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    its classed as a "set line"mate.

    That is exactly my point in asking the question Bruce. Like yourself, I believe that in SOME quarters it is seen to be a breach of the law, yet, in others it is not.

    Most of us know that lobbing out a dozen baited hooks and leaving them overnight to catch a wad of salmon is "set-lining", and most of us know that this is illegal.

    I am not convinced that the law was passed to incriminate ordinary decent anglers who, like Ciarán, use a rod rest to take a break from holding a rod in the same spot for hours on end. Hence, I am looking for evidence of a judicial precident being set whereby one of those ordinary, decent anglers has been convicted of breaking this law.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dumfriesshire
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_fly_man View Post
    That is exactly my point in asking the question Bruce. Like yourself, I believe that in SOME quarters it is seen to be a breach of the law, yet, in others it is not.

    Most of us know that lobbing out a dozen baited hooks and leaving them overnight to catch a wad of salmon is "set-lining", and most of us know that this is illegal.

    I am not convinced that the law was passed to incriminate ordinary decent anglers who, like Ciarán, use a rod rest to take a break from holding a rod in the same spot for hours on end. Hence, I am looking for evidence of a judicial precident being set whereby one of those ordinary, decent anglers has been convicted of breaking this law.

    Thanks.
    What country are you in and what rivers/beats are you fishing?

    As posted above it is law in Scotland.

    There won't be that many prosecutions if any because most places that allow worming will have it in their rules.
    for example on the Burgh and DGAA beats of the Nith, you need to cast then take a step or move a metre downstream, can't mdo that with a rod in a rest and if you were to set up camp with a rod rest you would soon be enlightened of the rules.
    Last edited by Thrasher; 08-01-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Typo

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Whitburn
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ciarán View Post
    Seems like a bit of a silly rule...I've used rests before...for stationary worming..on certain beats like the finn's leap section - on this beat you had no option but to be stationary..a rest allowed you to take a break from holding a rod in the same spot for hours on end.
    if you want to take a break then reel ur line in and take a break if u want to fish a set line, then go stockie bashin

    isnt that what wormings about? feeling the fish e.t.c??
    Hit And Hope Merchant! =D

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KingFish1987 View Post
    if you want to take a break then reel ur line in and take a break if u want to fish a set line, then go stockie bashin

    isnt that what wormings about? feeling the fish e.t.c??


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •