Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Killing all the takers.

Could the benefits of C&R be more than just increasing the number of fish that end up on the redds? Could C&R be saving what might be described as 'the taking gene'?

I believe that only a certain percentage of returning salmon will ever take a fly/bait/lure. In my opinion not every salmon that runs our rivers is catchable, in fact I think the majority wont take the bait as they are focused on completing their main objective.

Of course the ones we do catch have proven to us that they possess the taking gene which if allowed to could then pass it on to their progeny. If we kill them are we progressively killing the strain which is the one as anglers we are most interested in?

Of course this 'taking gene' isn't my idea, I have heard it many times before from other anglers and I'm not sure there is any hard evidence it exists. What I do know is that every human isn't the same and some would never ever resort to aggressive behavior at any time while others fly off the handle at the blink of an eye.

Could salmon be the same?

Very interesting springer. Lookin forward to a few replies on this.
    Last edited by Nore Angler; 08-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Was it Falkus who said only around 10% of salmon in a pool at any given time would be taking fish?

Our Administrator has started a C & R debate....!!!!

VC

Interesting point.

I suppose the simple fact is that unless the stocks reach a terminal point, ie, cannot sustain any more, then the less fish that we kill, the greater the number if fish there shall be year on end.

In another thread on this forum someone said of fishing using shrimp as bait, "i hate this method. It catches too many fish and wrecks the salmon stocks!!!!! "

It is not the method or the bait that depleats stocks - it is the killing or maiming of fish.

Catch and release is essential is we wish to keep salmon and sea trout in our rivers.

HOWEVER - it is not enough that WE practice C&R. It is ESSENTIAL that we catch the people who fish illegally and make sure that they think twice about making a return visit.

Quote Originally Posted by rrw35 View Post
    Was it Falkus who said only around 10% of salmon in a pool at any given time would be taking fish?
    That only works if there are more than 10 salmon in the pool.

I think your over thinking things. In general i think all anglers do this. We percieve our quarry to be on the same intellectual scale as humans and set about trying to catch salmon on a scientific scale like some experiment in a lab.

A Salmon when all said and done is an amazing animal capable of physical feats that humans cant do but it's simple creature of instinct. It doesnt posses a thought process like us humans.

It's also a top top predator which is why they are able to be caught. They never quite lose that "killing" instinct and will chase what they think is food items because they are programmed by nature and evolution to do so.

This instinct does lessen with time in fresh water and its the agression around spawning time to protect its chance of reproducing that can trigger the fish to take freely again.

I think all salmon possess this and at some point every salmon will come on the take. Its up to us to prey on it and be patient.

I do agree with you that not all humans have a similar temperment but its well documented that every human possess murder within them. You just got to push the right buttons.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

I suspect as a "general rule" not all the fish in a pool will be takers....

but there "are times" when the fish appear to be very interested in

taking and you would get the impression during some "rare taking "

times that every fish is possibly catchable ......

it can be like mackerel fishing during these rare times....

for example on the 10th/11th/12th July on the Moy last year......

anybody with a worm on a hook caught.....
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by FaughanPurple View Post
    I think your over thinking things. In general i think all anglers do this. We percieve our quarry to be on the same intellectual scale as humans and set about trying to catch salmon on a scientific scale like some experiment in a lab.

A Salmon when all said and done is an amazing animal capable of physical feats that humans cant do but it's simple creature of instinct. It doesnt posses a thought process like us humans.

It's also a top top predator which is why they are able to be caught. They never quite lose that "killing" instinct and will chase what they think is food items because they are programmed by nature and evolution to do so.

This instinct does lessen with time in fresh water and its the agression around spawning time to protect its chance of reproducing that can trigger the fish to take freely again.

I think all salmon possess this and at some point every salmon will come on the take. Its up to us to prey on it and be patient.

I do agree with you that not all humans have a similar temperment but its well documented that every human possess murder within them. You just got to push the right buttons.
    Ive never suggested salmon are on the same intellectual scale as humans. I have merely said within their own species some could well be more aggressive than others, a trait similarly found in humans and most probably the rest of the animal world.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Ive never suggested salmon are on the same intellectual scale as humans. I have merely said within their own species some could well be more aggressive than others, a trait similarly found in humans and most probably the rest of the animal world.
    Alan

That was general sweeping statement not aimed at your post just anglers in general. I've heard some great theroies over the years and you'd think that salmon are some sort of higher being that posses amazing thought processes and powers of grandure and perception.
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast