Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Poll: Will you fish less in 2011

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103
  1. #1

    Default Is it really all doom and gloom?

    I listened to a talk show yesterday where the majority of the callers felt that 2011 was going to be very difficult financially for them. Many cited the additional 2.5% increase in vat as being a major contributor to them having to pull in their belts. The extra 2.5% alone isn't really as big an issue as many might first think, adding around 50 to a monthly expenditure of 2000.

    It did got me wondering though, is doom and gloom contagious? Do we actually feel poorer just because the economists and media force it down out throats?

    To the point, do you expect that your fishing will be significantly effected in 2011 as a result of the current economic climate and uncertainty?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nordic Noir
    Posts
    4,459

    Default

    Yes another 2.5% isn't that much, but added to an overstretched personal budget, a banking industry that no longer lends, and employers who treat workers as irrelevent or worse and it becomes another pressure point.

    My wife works in the NHS and basically things are being closed down by the day, staff's working conditions are changed without consultation or notice, and many nursing staff are at their wit's end. Nurses have to pay to park at work, and these costs seem to double every few months.

    Of course if you're a fat cat, a banker or somesuch braying into your g & t it doesn't matter, or may even seem amusing watching the Eton Boys giving the proles a good kicking. Revenge for the days they ran the gauntlet of the local toughs or faced rebutal from the village girls maybe.

    I bought diesel yesterday and asked the young guy serving if they did bank loans to pay for it.

    His reply was interesting:

    "this could overall be a good thing. People are getting so f&&& p**** off
    that this may actually bring about real political change. While europe cleared away all this **** 200 years ago in the main we're still running a system dating back 200 years etc".

    I said I broadly agreed but advised him to be careful lest he find himself led away to some third world torture dungeon", about which along with expense fiddling, banking collapse and bird flu we seem to hear very very little.

    Paradoxically it may be a good year pour moi.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Whitburn
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    this year i plan to fish more, already booked up for the tay this year as a wee extra, and hopping to go away a wee weekend wae the lads again fishing.
    Hit And Hope Merchant! =D

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ireland/Scotland
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Of course doom and gloom is contagious. There are too many people who thrive on it. I've stopped asking my next door neighbour how she is as every time everything is a disaster, when it's quite clearly not! Postman late etc.
    Well as you've already stated in another post the price of diesel will be limiting this year. I get around quite well on limited financial means. Last year fishing Wales, Ireland and all over Scotland. I think Wales is out along with my trips to the Spey and Tay. Season ticket fishing in Scotland only with a couple of trips to the Foyle system in Ireland.
    The VAT rise is significant when applied on top of everything else. For example, electric + gas prices, another pay freeze for me (pay cut in reality as inflation running around 5%), growing family,etc. Just wait till interest rates rise and watch people struggle with mortgages then.
    Sorry depress myself haha. I'm actually very happy with my lot. I'm looking forward to this season so much. I certainly vote but didn't vote that lot in. Some of you no doubt are more culpable. 2011 will be very tough for the lower to middle income families like my own. Good luck to you all. I believe the fishing will be fantastic at least we all on here have that to fall back on.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    620

    Default

    It all depends on the individual....both my children fled the nest years ago and I am now in my fifties and have more disposable income than at any time in my life so the V.A.T. hike really won't make that much difference to me. If however I was in a relatively low paid job and bringing up a family etc then I suspect 2011 would be a very tough year indeed. I would have thought that a lot of peoples spending on luxury or non essential items, such as fishing, would be severely curtailed. I think for the majority of people 2011 will be an extremely hard year. A lot of jobs are still to be cut in the public sector and I cannot see the private sector absorbing all these losses in what are still troubled financial times.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    Yes another 2.5% isn't that much, but added to an overstretched personal budget, a banking industry that no longer lends, and employers who treat workers as irrelevent or worse and it becomes another pressure point.

    My wife works in the NHS and basically things are being closed down by the day, staff's working conditions are changed without consultation or notice, and many nursing staff are at their wit's end. Nurses have to pay to park at work, and these costs seem to double every few months.

    Of course if you're a fat cat, a banker or somesuch braying into your g & t it doesn't matter, or may even seem amusing watching the Eton Boys giving the proles a good kicking. Revenge for the days they ran the gauntlet of the local toughs or faced rebutal from the village girls maybe.

    I bought diesel yesterday and asked the young guy serving if they did bank loans to pay for it.

    His reply was interesting:

    "this could overall be a good thing. People are getting so f&&& p**** off
    that this may actually bring about real political change. While europe cleared away all this **** 200 years ago in the main we're still running a system dating back 200 years etc".

    I said I broadly agreed but advised him to be careful lest he find himself led away to some third world torture dungeon", about which along with expense fiddling, banking collapse and bird flu we seem to hear very very little.

    Paradoxically it may be a good year pour moi.
    Apart from Greece, Ireland, Spain etc etc. looks like the "ordinary" men and women in these countries will be hit the hardest. Don't see much difference from them and us here in the U.K.

  7. #7

    Default

    The extra VAT and that will have no effect on my fishing but I may be forced to give up one of my major pass times which is clay pigeon shooting.

    The price of cartridges has went through the roof since I started shooting in 2002. We bought 250 cartridges for 19.50 back then. An expensive cartridge back then was 25 for 250. My permit went for renewal once and it had 13,500 cartridges bought on it.

    Now, the cheap cartridges are 36 a case and the expensive ones are around 47 the last time I checked. Now with the VAT increase it will cost more to make the cartridge, cost more to deliver the cartridges so the overall cost will have to increase as a result. The cost of a cheap cartridge could be around 40+ per case. Far too expensive for me.

    This does not take into account the cost of the clays for the shoots and fuel costs to run generators etc on the shoot and the fuel to get to the shoots. All will be slightly more expensive and in turn will be passed on to visitors of the shooting grounds.

    Most people seem to forget that a 2.5% VAT increase on an item in itself will not mean too big of a rise but they forget that the price of component parts, delivery of such parts, delivery of final item all added to the cost of the item itself will mean a right wee increase on the cost of purchases.

    All this added to the fact that I'm not working means I will definitely have to make cutbacks this year.

    As I've said, it should not affect my fishing so at least thats one grain of comfort.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    To the point, do you expect that your fishing will be significantly effected in 2011 as a result of the current economic climate and uncertainty?
    It may very well effect me as I will have to work more hours to keep everything going hence giving me less time to fish.

    As far as the cost of fishing, I generally don't fish beats so for that reason I will get my anual permit as ususal and can fish whenever I have time on my hands.
    Tell me the legends of long ago, when the kings and queens would dance in the realm of the black rose - Roisin Dubh

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane View Post
    It may very well effect me as I will have to work more hours to keep everything going hence giving me less time to fish.
    That's a very good point which I hadnt considered. Saturday overtime if its available will certainly scupper a day on the river.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    kirkcaldy
    Posts
    937

    Default

    a lot of folk lost their jobs in 2010 and are living on 75 a week, with this government in control i am sure there will be more to come in 2011, they wont be doing much salmon fishing.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •