Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Angling Should be Fun!

Most people seem to have forgotten that salmon angling is a leisure activity & supposed to be fun. To hell with all the bickering & jealousy do what makes you happy & follow the guidelines below for a stress free pass time

- If you want to spend large amounts of money on your tackle & get personal pleasure in the purchase & its use then go for it. What you get out using your tackle more than justifies any material cost.
    - If you have the disposable means to fish exclusive beats with expensive tackle, increase your chances of a fish & therefore your enjoyment then do so, take some self satisfaction that you can, but donít look down on those who donít have the means as somehow inferior, most association anglers are life served & self taught & could likely teach you a couple of tricks & out fish you on the day.
    - If you have limited means, make the most of & buy the best you can afford (& no doubt continue to make purchases you canít), take some self satisfaction that you are the Ďworking maní & somehow more worthy than those Ďrich toffsí because you rough it & each success is all the more sweet because it may be hard won .But donít be jealous of those that Ďhaveí & accept that they are either just more fortunate or thoroughly deserve to be where they are. Remember that given half a chance you would fish the same beats & own the same expensive tackle. (Donít argue with me on this , how many would continue to drive a sensible 3 year old family car & holiday in Skegness if they won the lottery?)
    - If you are fishing within the rules then openly employ the method that gives you most satisfaction including if thatís the most successful & offer advice to any that ask it.
    - If you see someone using any method unfamiliar to you, accept they are within the rules & speak to the angler to learn all you can; you may want to give it a try next time out.
    - If you land a fish let it be known & enjoy the attention as the mighty angler but donít rub it in & remember how quickly the tables can turn.
    - If you see someone land a fish give genuine congratulations & pick up what learning you can in the knowledge that there are taking fish about & you could be next.
    - If you want to kill a fish & get pleasure taking your prize home & the rules allow it then do so & have a smug face when you carry it along the river bank, but nod to & congratulate the angler returning a fish as you walk past as someone in the same exclusive club who has managed to achieve the same result as you.
    - If you return your fish & you get pleasure from seeing it swim away then do so in the knowledge that you have done something active towards conservation, but as you do so, donít decry the angler you see carrying a salmon by trying to impose your will & donít make comments about the fishes demise, congratulate him on his prize as someone in the exclusive club & accept he is within the rules. If you have a will, direct your energies at those who can make changes to the rules but understand you are going against 100's of years of hunting tradition.
    - If you get pleasure casting huge distances further than the anglers following you down the pool then do so with satisfaction knowing they will all likely want to emulate you.
    - If you see someone casting huge distances moving down the pool in front of you, acknowledge his skill in the knowledge he may not be fishing effectively

A good post and thanks for taking the time to write it

I don't agree with all you've written but do agree with most, but then thats what life and fishing is about!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

I like the thought you've put into that post, and i wholeheartedly agree with the main principle that it is all about enjoying your fishing.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

100% Bang on.
    Should be on the water for no other reason than to enjoy oneself.

great post and thanks for your time you took to write it.
    william

Yes a time consuming piece of prose I'm sure.

To an extent though I think it is wishful thinking.

Fishing basically is an ongoing battle with oneself and the total environment to overcome and master all the trials and lead to a spectacular culmination.

Obstacles are private water, cost of tackle, transport, and if these are bestowed on others and removed from oneself, how can an equilibrium of composure be the result?

Then as regards fly fishing, the fact that a fish has been caught on bait is to me at least a devaluation, to the extent that I'd prefer not to bother, and try for the troot instead.

Tackle, well if folk have a £1000 to pay for a wee stick o plustic that's up tae them.
    Last edited by compagnito; 04-01-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: language timothy language

spot on mate fishing is what you want to gain out of it not what others think
    and your own enjoyment is why you should do it

I take it the clue is in your name....?
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Mr Monkey, I don't know what you mean, you don't know my name!

Compagnito, Thanx for the reply, but I don't understand WTF you are trying to say: You make it sound like you fish in the waters from that Total Wipeout show & catch trout with foodstuffs, 2 things that I would have thought were anathema to you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast