Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need a fast sinking SH?

Hi
    I've got a hover/sink AFS 10/11 which suited me very well the few times I've used it. the For fishing the Dee in Feb should I also get a full sinker or can I use the hover/sink line and add appropriate 10ft poly leaders? I'm assuming I would be better off with one, but which one? I'm guessing the sink rate 4 and then use sinking tips matched to the hover/sink line for between the two depths?

Does this sound OK?

Personally I dont find I use sink 4 all that often, certainly not in average spring water levels.

If the flow is powerful enough to stop it from dragging the bottom I usually feel its too fast for springers to be lying in at those water temps, of course I could be wrong.

The fastest I seem to use on a regular basis during the spring is S2/S3 and then add an extra fast poly and heavier tube if I feel the need to get a bit deeper.

I like the idea of the staggered decent presentation this set-up gives me as I feel it fishes around better than a pure sink 4 which often settles in to deep and comes around too slow for my liking.

For sinking heads I prefer Guideline.

I've got that sinking head and fished it a little last March in the Naver. It is on the bottom often. It wouldn't cost much more to get a Skagit and some tips which I think would give you more and better options.

Thanks guys

I doubt you would need to use that line on the Dee in most spring conditions as it is a relativly shalow river but it is better to have it and not need it than to not have it at all.

Do I need a fast sinking SH?

In short - YES YOU DO!!!!

You can never get enough shootingheads

Default Why Guideline Heads.

Springer,

Would you mind explaining why you prefer Guideline heads. I valve your knowledge as a casting guru and as someone that would have tried a lot of different heads. I'm looking to buy sinking heads myself. I would prefer to buy a brand that comes pre looped. Is that a good thing or a bad thing with the pre looped or am I better off with the one's you need to cut.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Deep. View Post
    Springer,

Would you mind explaining why you prefer Guideline heads. I valve your knowledge as a casting guru and as someone that would have tried a lot of different heads. I'm looking to buy sinking heads myself. I would prefer to buy a brand that comes pre looped. Is that a good thing or a bad thing with the pre looped or am I better off with the one's you need to cut.

Thanks.
    I like the Guideline heads because of the different sink rates combined with the taper profile which both casts the heavy gear (if needed) better and fishes round in the way I like. Its a bit of a personal thing as Im sure others would favour Loop, Vision or Rio for example with equal justification.

If you buy a pre looped head you always have the option to cut it if need be. I use mainly Hover/Inter, S1/S2 and S2/S3 all in the short cut pre-looped versions, I usually then add either a 5' or 10' airflo poly and between 3 and 8' of leader depending on how/where Im fishing. I also use the Hov/Inter in the longer distance version from time to time.

Thumbs up Thanks Springer.

Thanks for the reply Springer.

I am with Alan on this one. I use the Guideline short cut heads too and find them real easy to fish with. The fastest sinker I own is the S2/S3 head and find that this is more than adequate for the waters I fish and just fine tune the sink rate by changing tips or fly weight. I also own the F/S1 and S1/S2 heads which covers all of my fishing for the whole season. I fish the F/S1 head coupled to a 15 ft intermediate polyleader more than any other. It's a great combination in my hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast