Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default River Coquet tidal beat

The Fed have decided to open the tidal beat in October after having it closed for many seasons on conservation grounds.

This must surely be a retro grade step for a river where stocks have fallen marked over the past few years, and is hardly conservation minded.

Maybe this is a financially driven move to sell more permits for the tidal beat................... I think it will damage stocks even further and lead to increased poaching, snatching and damage to the river and it's fish in the long term for short term monetary gain.

This can hardy be a sensible thing to do for a so called fishing club, or can it, no one seems to care about the river, or it's fish these days.
    Last edited by chasb; 29-12-2010 at 04:20 PM.

I thought the problem was a lack of spring salmon,how will fishing in october affect them?

Is that just in oct or from oct? Imo they need to sort the dam out before they even think about fishing....or at least restrict the fishing to 500m below the dam.

The spring run has disappeared and the netsmen get most of the grilse and seatrout, I think the Fed should be more responsible. Imagine if we get low water in October and a lot of fish get stuck on the tidal, especially as the pass doesn't work correctly, they'll get hammered by all and sundry.

Then they will close it,thats what used to happen anyway. The nets dont start till june?

Dont forget that its fly and spinning only also NO SINKING LINES to be used at all

I knew there would be doubters of this rule but i bet theres a few doubters who fish the tidal in Oct as they have lost there EXCLUSIVE felton park water haha
    Last edited by Salmon Bob; 29-12-2010 at 09:19 PM.

just to add this is not a long term ruling..yet.It has been put in place as a trial for 2011 season.

I think that any further exploitation of the Coquet's fish by whatever means is unacceptable.

I can't see the Fed having the wit to close the tidal in low water, so it's best to leave it closed full stop. A better measure would be to reduce the exploitation of spring fish in the upper river later in the season.

The nets I agree come on in June but catch far to many fish, you just have to look at the huge seatrout catches in the area last summer and doubtless a good number were undeclared.

The beach nets, along with the drift nets should be closed immediately, the fish are more valuable to the area and it's economy live in the sea/rivers than dead on a slab.

This may be controversial but it's no differenty to other folk being made redundant, only the nets seem to think they have a god given right to catch everything that swims for short term gain.

Perhaps the Fed should try to influence the EA into managing the fish passes correctly for the benefit of the whole river?
    Last edited by chasb; 31-12-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Bob View Post
    Dont forget that its fly and spinning only also NO SINKING LINES to be used at all

I knew there would be doubters of this rule but i bet theres a few doubters who fish the tidal in Oct as they have lost there EXCLUSIVE felton park water haha
    Dont understand your point on Felton Park, have the Fed lost water here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast