Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  81
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default hugh falkus salmon fishing

can anyone enlighten me as to why this book is so expensive to buy from amazon?

Cos its a classic. . . . a belter of a read and it seems still very much in demand.
    Dont worry about the price get it. I still glance through it 20 odd years later

I got a brand new paperback a year or so ago for £20. I sold it subsequently.

As for Amazon, I imagine the seconhand sellers are looking for a tidy profit.

As for the book, a tedious re-statement of the obvious I should say.

It sings the praises of the Bruce and Walker Hexagraph if I remember rightly. Pm me if you'd like one to go with the book (just a joke Springer I don't really have a Hexagraph).
    Last edited by compagnito; 29-12-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Salmon Fishing by Hugh Falkus....my copy is printed in sept 1985.....revised copy.......

a very quick look I see no mention of the Hexograph.....

but I do see Arthur Oglesby " Fly Fishing for Salmon and Sea Trout"

...printed in 1986 ..has a good mention of the Hexograph.....also Arthur

mentions he tested "Hexograph" prototypes in Feb 1985......

Hugh may have just missed the opportunity to put his two feet in it by a

few months......
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Compagnito: As for the book, a tedious re-statement of the obvious I should say.

I would say you don't know a classic book when you see one. As for the man, he put more thought into his fishing and shooting than most of us do.

Its a book that even the best fisher can refer to no matter how far his head is stuck up his own ****!Proper classic and well worth the money.....unlike some books that are about atm

thanks for the replys, just asking as i have a hard back copy in good readable condition without dust cover that i was going to put up for sale on the forum, also have a copy of the sea trout one, great condition with dust cover, any ideas on a fair price for these?

i thought it was a great read, still dip into it, i bought the salmon one with dust cover good condition and the sea trout paper back one mint of one of the members on here i think it was £20 each, hope to fish some of that water next year as i have just joined prince alberts.
    Last edited by happy days; 29-12-2010 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happy days View Post
    i thought it was a great read, still dip into it, i bought the salmon one with dust cover good condition and the sea trout paper back one mint of one of the members on here i think it was £20 each, hope to fish some of that water next year as i have just joined prince alberts.
    the salmon book is very good, the sea trout a classic.

both were written in and for a different time, to me the man was a collosus, though some decry his achievements.

My father's friend met the woman who nursed him as he was dying....I haven't a clue about the man's politics but I think Hugh would have warmed to him.
    "I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." óGeorge W Bush, Sept. 29 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis Guide View Post
    Compagnito: As for the book, a tedious re-statement of the obvious I should say.

I would say you don't know a classic book when you see one. As for the man, he put more thought into his fishing and shooting than most of us do.
    Modern salmon Flies - Peter Mackenzie-Philps

Secrets of the Salmon - Hewitt

The salmon Fly - ~George Mortimer Kelson

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast