Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salmon Film River Test

some have expressed interest in this style of nymph fishing:

Last edited by compagnito; 26-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.

good clip, sight fishing when you can see the quarry is pure adrenaline.

Good clip, I have fished there many times, our best day was nine.

I'm fascinated by the question of whether or not someting similar to this technique might be an effective way to regularly get some salmon to take that don't appear to be otherwise catchable. You regularly see fish holding that you can wade near, that won't take a wet fly swung over them, and won't take a dry fly either. I have tried nymphs with strike indicators over these fish, but not a lot, and so far with no luck. But I'm to experiment with it more this year if we get the right conditions.

I wouldn't presume any expertise in this area, but is it possible people give up too soon.

I fished for some difficult trout (wild browns) this year, and, they knew I was there, and refused to take cast after cast, until finally, the presentation is just right, and, click, they've grabbed the nymph.

Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    I wouldn't presume any expertise in this area, but is it possible people give up too soon.

I fished for some difficult trout (wild browns) this year, and, they knew I was there, and refused to take cast after cast, until finally, the presentation is just right, and, click, they've grabbed the nymph.
    Not so when fishing the heavy nymph for Salmon. If the fish does not take after a few attempts, we would leave them alone and come back and try later.

Miramichi. Leave your strike indicator off, and make sure your nymph is heavy. I have just weighed the lightest nymph in my box that we used, and this came out at 1.7g. Hope the info helps.

Do you always see the fish take Loomis Guide, or do you watch the line sometimes?

I would say that over the years it was 50/50. If you could see the target fish you also saw the take. When fishing blind, and drawing the nymph up towards the surface the takes were savage pulls as the fish took and turned. Don't watch your line, look at the nymph, and always hold the nymph at the top of the water for a few seconds in case you have not seen any fish following.
    Last edited by Deveron; 26-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Nymphing for brown trout where I would strike provided the fish hadnt tightened the line itself, would you strike when the salmon atkes the nymph or is it like fishing with a salmon fly where you let the fish take line and dont strike?
    Very interesting video and method. Looks like it would be really exciting to fish for salmon using nymphs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast