Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Angling Mishaps !

This is the thread to list your bad days those when it would have been a much better idea to have stayed in bed.

These are my personal top three.

Feb 2004 – River Dane Cheshire – after a winter chubbing session on the Dane freezing cold pitch black I packed the gear in the car. Short 20 mins drive down the M6 looking forward to a plate of stew cup of tea and Sunday night TV in a warm house what could possibly go wrong? Put the car in reverse and it would not budge one millimetre. The car park was boggy and while I was fishing the front of the car lip had sunk right over a great girder embedded in the soil. The perfect car trap the RAC turned up and the guy was in defeat mode and reckoned it needed a crane or something. Every time we tried to jack it up it sank back in the bog. Fortunately a really great guy turned up the local farmer to see what was up. 2 hours later a combination of planks jacks and a tractor got it off. The M6 never looked so good on way home.

Sept 2007 – Welsh Dee Corwen – Watching a grilse splash right in the casting zone I thought right here we go in with a shout here. Then saw leader was in a small tangle right must sort it out pronto. Leaning down with the fly line in clumps by my feet on the rocks and shingle I would sort it real quick and get the fly out there to do its work. Stumbled on the rocks my foot caught the fly line and drove a 12 cascade right into my index finger beyond the barb. After some very brave tugging it was obvious I had a big problem. A phone call home to find the local hospital via the net proved fruitless so nothing for it but to drive 80 miles to Warrington A&E because I knew where it was. 6 hours later the doc reversed it out said I was lucky not to damage nerves in my finger. The only good thing was the stares in the A&E waiting room. What’s up with you mate? Ohhh !!

Oct 2010 – River Lune Kirkby Lonsdale. After a successful days fishing a pint in the local and match of the day beckoned. The car just had to go up a small rise except I had not reckoned on the recent rain making the ground boggy. Much wheel spinning and burning of clutch later it was obvious it was going to be another nightmare. I was in the middle of nowhere just a few farmhouse lights in the distance. The call to the RAC and the girl in the call centre was struggling to find KL. When the RAC turned up initially was reluctant to go to my aid off the road because of the boggy conditions. Any way thankfully he did but his van was also in danger of getting stuck and there was a possibility the tow rope would not reach. Thankfully it did and thankfully one or two jolts pulled it out and got me up the rise.
    Last edited by Hodder321; 18-12-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Winter 2008, pike fishing on my local canal. I'd been sat freezing my nuts off for hours without a single run. I finally got some interest from a little jack of about 4lbs, which I brought in after a short but spirited scrap - great, thinks I... until I realised I'd dropped my forceps somewhere. Oh well, no worries, it's only hooked the scissors, I'll unhook it by hand... will I indeed . I grabbed the trace above the top treble which wasn't in the fish's mouth and went to wiggle the other hook free. As soon as I started it thrashed about, in the process embedding the free hook into the palm of my hand! Jeeesus christ I could feel every jolt and flap the ****** made right up my arm and I tell you now it was NOT pleasant! Anyway I blocked it out the best I could, unhooked the fish and slipped it back with the trace still dangling from my hand. Luckily, trebles were only semi barbed and as luck would have it I'd copped the two barbless points, so it came out easy enough despite being in up to the shank - still hurt like hell though, and I've certainly been a lot more careful about where I leave my forceps ever since
    "I almost stabbed me eye out on a pushbike and that REALLY hurt." Martin, G. (2011).

Hidden Content

River Maine this year, fishing with Easky.

Lost a salmon, then smashed my loop opti switch rod, when the backcast caught on grass, before snapping on the forward cast.

Not bad, considering some of these other stories.
    Last edited by rrw35; 18-12-2010 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshirelad15 View Post
    Winter 2008, pike fishing on my local canal. I'd been sat freezing my nuts off for hours without a single run. I finally got some interest from a little jack of about 4lbs, which I brought in after a short but spirited scrap - great, thinks I... until I realised I'd dropped my forceps somewhere. Oh well, no worries, it's only hooked the scissors, I'll unhook it by hand... will I indeed . I grabbed the trace above the top treble which wasn't in the fish's mouth and went to wiggle the other hook free. As soon as I started it thrashed about, in the process embedding the free hook into the palm of my hand! Jeeesus christ I could feel every jolt and flap the ****** made right up my arm and I tell you now it was NOT pleasant! Anyway I blocked it out the best I could, unhooked the fish and slipped it back with the trace still dangling from my hand. Luckily, trebles were only semi barbed and as luck would have it I'd copped the two barbless points, so it came out easy enough despite being in up to the shank - still hurt like hell though, and I've certainly been a lot more careful about where I leave my forceps ever since

Exactly the same thing happened to me...a flailing treble right through the middle of my middle finger - with the double figure Pike still flopping about on the other treble...

A hell of a lot of flesh came out with that hook - and when the lindicaine wore off I nearly fainted with the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by rrw35 View Post
    River Maine this year, fishing with Easky.

Lost a salmon, then smashed my loop opti switch rod, when the backcast caught on grass, before snapping on the forward cast.

Not bad, considering some of these other stories.
    My Le Cie exploded at the bottom blank at the end of the season as well..Pain in the ****.

Oh, almost forgot..

On holiday in lake Garda two years ago. Eight year old daughter fishing with a float and bread in the lake...

"Now, don't try and cast, i'll do that for you"..

One attempted cast when I wasn't looking and a trip to the nearest Italian hospital to have a size 10 hook removed.

Of course, the wife blamed me..

Mayday bank holiday 2007. Slipped on wet grass on banking on river foyle. Fractured right fibula, ruptured medial and lateral ligaments of right ankle. A few plates and screws repaired the fracture and surgical repair of the medial ligament done too !

It can still be sore to this day. Lesson learned. Studded boots only now !

Fishing in local estuary with friend. I was standing on the left of him. Swing round to the right to cast. Hook comes way round and hooks itself in my eyebrow and centimeter from me eye. Luckily the barb didnt stick in.
    I'm Only At Home On The RiverbankHidden Content

><(((º>` · . . ·
    ` · . . · ` · . . . ><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
    Mayday bank holiday 2007. Slipped on wet grass on banking on river foyle. Fractured right fibula, ruptured medial and lateral ligaments of right ankle. A few plates and screws repaired the fracture and surgical repair of the medial ligament done too !

It can still be sore to this day. Lesson learned. Studded boots only now !
    I fell down the bank of the Bush a couple of years ago and did my left ankle ligaments...I was running to put a trout back after showing off to my brother...crutches for a month.

Ligaments are much more painful than breaks..

Some years back I was shore fishing Scourmore at the mouth of the Moy....I parked the car down a laneway at Scourmore...walked to the shore and dug some bait....went back to the car got the beach casting gear out and off to the channel....anyway after some hours ,with the tide flowing in I started back to the car to find the intervening gulley too deep to wade , so off on a trek along the seaward side of the gulley for effin miles towards Enniscrone Golf Course until I hit the road and had to walk back fully laden with gear uphill and down the laneway to the car.....

got to the car and threw everything off in a sweat while I searched for the car keys ......good fxxk I had locked the keys in the car when I had gone back with the bait to collect the rods.....fxxk......stranded....and it was a Sunday......had to think of what to do....nothing for it but to hide the rod under the car and thumb a lift into Enniscrone to my Boss who lived the other side of the town...and who I hoped would be in when I got to his house.....ended up walking in ...up to the house and got the Boss thankfully.....he drove me into the owner of the Ford Garage in Ballina....knocked up the Garage owner....who brought me into the Garage some distance away in the centre of the town....he opened up the place and spent sometime searching for keys but eventually appeared again and gave me a box of keys saying one of these may do the job....thanked him and off with the Boss to the laneway at Scourmore.....went through a few keys and thanks be to God, one of them worked .....thanked the Boss ...did an eight point turn to try turn the Fxxxxn Tank in the narrow lane way......

driving into Ballina was going through the events in my head and suddenly had a cold sweat ,,,,the Fxxxxn Rod I had hid under the Fxxxxn car , I had forgotten it .....a lovely ABU beachcaster....and that eightpoint turn with the effen tank of a car........

had to find a spot to turn the car and drive back to Enniscrone and down the effin laneway expecting to find the effin lovely rod in smithereens ...but low and behold the soft grass margin let the rod push into it , the rod was fine......wonders of wonders.. I stood there for several minutes looking at the tyre marks on the lane surface, in total disbelief the rod was whole ...got into the car and turned the effin tank again in the effin laneway and headed again for home......

had a nice time fishing darling .......says her in doors .... yes darling, really enjoyed myself.....
    Last edited by Grey Monkey; 19-12-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast