Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Fishing huts and manicured lawns

Is it just me or does anyone else not really give a monkeys if a stretch of water has the above?

After all if I want to marvel at what is essentially a glorified garden shed/conservatory and some fancy strimmer work then surely it would be much cheaper to visit a garden centre or a park?
    And okay it might rain or be a tad chilly but is that not why appropriate clothing is available, after all the objective of the outing is surely to fish and not to pay a lot of money to sit around in simulated comfort.

Grumbles from the frozen wastelands .

Paul
    Last edited by carbisdale caster; 08-12-2010 at 04:15 PM.

A suitable fishing hut is a "godsend" on a wet/miserable day for getting changed in and for having a bite to eat. You do not need to use it.

As far as striming the banks go i am all for it with in reason. Droping shooting head line on to short cut grass, beaching the fish, easy walking letting others see the beat is used and to me it makes it look like a "proper" salmon beat. In the summer i spend a lot of time cutting back trees and bushes, striming grass and i enjoy doing that. It is also a goog way to see the river in the low water and it is a good way of creating new fishing.

It is another dimension to the fishing.

It normally goes hand in hand with private fishing. I guess if I were paying 150/day to fish a good Dee beat and the place was a tip then I would certainly be a little unhappy. Conversely if you are giving a local farmer a drink to fish some water with little prospect of a fish then I would take as I find.

Tenet

Smile strimmed banks

I know it is nice to see a well kept estate but lets not detract from the important issue we are there to fish and who is paying to groom these lovely banks................us

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler View Post
    I know it is nice to see a well kept estate but lets not detract from the important issue we are there to fish and who is paying to groom these lovely banks................us
    Cheers Wildfowler, this was the jist of my initial post as i've noticed that a lot of posts regarding choice of beat seem to indicate that a lovely wee ganghut is quite a high priority when choosing fishing locations.

I agree that no-one wants to fish in a place that resembles a tip or the rainforest but we are fishing for "wild" fish and feel that the surroundings should to a degree reflect that and not look too polished/clinical.

Paul

Much prepare it wild, brings back my childhood. There is no better feeling of pushing your self through over grown undergrowth, brambles and nettles, rhododendrons to come across a pool with a shoal of salmon and sea trout lying in the side..you back up and drop a bait quietly in and watch their reaction. You would never come across this on a manicured bank.

wild fowler.....remember many ghillies strim the banks in their ain time...without getting paid for it, because it looks tidy, and not everyone can throw a perfect double spey off their left shooder in a howling gale to avoid long grass!!

BB

I like the challenge of fishing wild water with heavy bankside growth and dodgy wading. You feel like you have worked for your fish on this type of beat. Moreover, this type of fishing can usually be had for a lot less financial outlay and that is always a bonus in these times.
    What I cannot abide is expensive beats where the owner has not made an effort and some of the best bits of the pools are innaccessible in a lot of different water heights, or are simply ruined with unkept banks. It's not an issue if the geography of the area creates the problem, but if a simple raising of the canopy under a tree would make a big difference, it should be done by the owner if he is expecting rods to pay reasonably high sums for their fishing.
    Fishing huts?
    A good fishing hut is a thing to marvel at. I love them and some of the huts on the Tay are great - not just the big fancy ones that could house a needy family, but some of the small cosy ones that just make you feel part of a long tradition.
    If I am on a hardcore fishing mission with one or two other rods, desperate to winkle out a rare early springer, then a hut is not foremost on my mind. When a hut is an important part of a day is when you are fishing with a bigger group and meeting for lunch to talk over fish hooked, lost, landed, seen jumping etc. This is as much a part of the day as the fishing itself, more so if there are a few rods in the party who have never met before.

My own personal preference - do away with the hut and give me the fishing as cheap as possible!
    Last edited by Fruin; 08-12-2010 at 08:53 PM.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

Default manicured grass

Yes thats as maybe but what is a ghillies own time, do you do it on a Sunday. A certain beat on the Spey the ghillies finish early on a Saturday as it becomes their time.Now I am ON A RANT, I once went in with a couple of friends to look at a certain beat as it was up for let the next week, my friends and I were told not to go out our vehicle as to respect the clients privacy, and basically told to ****** off. The upshot was we declined the estates offer to take a week (at a vastly reduced rate) told 1 off our friend who then cancelled his week.As you will have now gathered I cannot stand snobbery or being ripped off for salmon fishing, I go there to catch fish not play bowls on the bloody lawns.Blair if I am pushed I shall name the beat.

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler View Post
    I once went in with a couple of friends to look at a certain beat as it was up for let the next week, my friends and I were told not to go out our vehicle as to respect the clients privacy,
    Had you called the estate to arrange this or did you just turn up? If it was the latter I can kind of understand the reaction...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast