Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default More than a pinch of SALT

So now Ireland has set into its salty affair, and this will continue through to march...

I wonder how much damage is going to be caused to the rivers / streams/ lakes of Ireland.

How many thousands of tons of salt, are going to be washed down the streams...

Will this set back the salmon sea trout and brown trout populations back to the bad years or worse.....

Should the salt only be put on the very low lands..?
    Last edited by DryFlyFishing; 06-12-2010 at 02:06 PM.

Wink No worries

Had a look at that following freeze in January 2010 when all the salt went on. Checked Corrib in Galway salinity never went above 2/1,000 - salmonids perfectly content with this.
    Salmo salar

Quote Originally Posted by Salmo salar View Post
    Had a look at that following freeze in January 2010 when all the salt went on. Checked Corrib in Galway salinity never went above 2/1,000 - salmonids perfectly content with this.

there was not much salt put on the roads last year compared to what will be this year, but what about the spawning streams? Not much water to dilute the salt coming straight off the roads..

Does not take much to kill the fish food..

DRYFLYFISHING: Carbon, CO2 etc, and now salt, how do you manage to sleep at night !

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis Guide View Post
    DRYFLYFISHING: Carbon, CO2 etc, and now salt, how do you manage to sleep at night !
    i sleep well

So what are your thoughts on, dumping a lot of salt on the highland roads till march?

Talking

Carbon, CO2 etc, and now salt, how do you manage to sleep at night !

Just wet myself laughing. I hadn't realised it was all the same poster Must be mates with Marvin the manic computer from Hitch hikers Guide. Doom, Gloom and Despondency.

Quote Originally Posted by DryFlyFishing View Post
    i sleep well

So what are your thoughts on, dumping a lot of salt on the highland roads till march?
    There's no danger of that where I live fortunately, as far as I am aware the Highland council must have lost the keys for all their gritters/snowploughs as I haven't seen one yet and we've had heavy snow up here for over three weeks now. The road from mine to the nearest village (7 miles) hasn't been touched apart from tyre tracks of those brave enough to venture out on the untreated roads

So what would your solution be?

Paul

Dryfly, you're such a worrier! When the salt reaches the rivers it will be because it's been washed there by a thaw. That thaw will dilute the salt so much that the increase in salinity will be miniscule, if at all measurable.

What percentage of the surface area of a river's catchment is comprised of tarmac roads? ****** all. And in the parts of Ireland I regularly travel, I've not yet seen gritters on the bogs, mountain sides, fields and forests where there are colossal deposits of snow. That snow will melt, and get into the watercourses too, ya know
    Last edited by crispin; 06-12-2010 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    Dryfly, you're such a worrier! When the salt reaches the rivers it will be because it's been washed there by a thaw. That thaw will dilute the salt so much that the increase in salinity will be miniscule, if at all measurable.

What percentage of the surface area of a river's catchment is comprised of tarmac roads? ****** all. And in the parts of Ireland I regularly travel, I've not yet seen gritters on the bogs, mountain sides, fields and forests where there are colossal deposits of snow. That snow will melt, and get into the watercourses too, ya know
    The roads that are salted thaw every day, and drain straight into the streams, and the water is highly concentrated with salt..

the snow on the bogs does not thaw and will not thaw for months....

remember i am only talking about the highlands.. where the rivers are small... but that is where the small fish start their life...

the government has not yet dumped a lot of salt there... hope they dont..

When you live in a country run by leprechauns, i think there are a good few million people worried in Ireland...especially if the leprechaun forgot where he put his pot of gold pot of salt more like...
    Last edited by DryFlyFishing; 06-12-2010 at 07:57 PM.

remember i am only talking about the highlands.. where the rivers are small... but that is where the small fish start their life...

Why would the councils salt or grit the back roads of the highlands when they barely have enough for the motorways and towns and citys.
    Irish by birth. Munster by the grace of god

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast