Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default salmon on nymphs

hi guys, well out today for a bit hunting for grayling....what happens?? no grayling but got into a salmon lost it after a few minutes but it took a small hares ear gold head. just goes to show eh.

scott.

Well done, it's a tried and tested technique by a few folk in these parts, Stevie Munn has a few articles online about his methods and experience fishing nymphs for salmon.
    http://bloodknot.net/2009/11/nymphin...-in-low-water/
    What to do? Stay green.
    Never mind the machine,
    Whose fuel is human souls
    Live large, man, and dream small.

Default It works here too...and in Russia

It will often take a fish over here that will not chase a wet or rise to a dry but isn't the easiest way to hook them. We took a few this fall nymphing. They must hold the fly for a while and one needs some luck. We don't use strike indicators or weighted flies for fear of snagging them. One can snag them if not careful and lucky, but it works well sometimes. It always freaks me out when we find a situation where this out-performs more traditional methods.

Cheers;
    SL
    Get educated and involved in what salmon open net pens are doing, before it is too late!

This is a popular method in the deep south - Test, Itchen and Avon. I have hooked two or three on heavily weighted nymphs, but have practised long distance catch and release each time

The nymph used on the Southern Chalk Streams seems to be quite different from what others are posting. First the nymphs used are very heavy and fished on a leader length the same as the depth of water, with just one or two yards of flyline outside the rod tip. Being very clear the angler will first spot his fish and take note of the current. The nymph is then roll cast or dropped just up-stream of the fish and then allowed to travel along the bottom until it is a few feet away from the Salmon. The angler will then lift the nymph away from the fish. Takes may come at any stage during the lift, but most just as the nymph reaches the last few inches of water. Some of the nymphs used would carry as much as one 6mm brass bead followed by one or two tungstan 4mm beads. The method also works on SeaTrout.
    Last edited by Deveron; 05-12-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Default Heavy Nymph in Scotland

The heavy nymph will work in Scotland, if you can find resting fish in clear waters on the upper reaches or smaller streams. I tried the method many years ago during the Summer on the Avon (Arn) on Speyside. For those that fancy a go on the Ythan next season, send me a pm.

Default Nymphing in Ireland

It works here too. It's especially popular in Delphi in low water. I lost a good one on a size 8 black stonefly nymphy on the Turn pool season before last and I know the regulars get them on 10 - 12 PTN goldheads fished upstream in low water, keep contact and watch the line tip. If it moves upstream, hit it!

This is an interesting thread as after having unbelievable success fishing this method for summer steelhead in bc this year I have been eagerly awaiting a chance to try it on my local water in Donegal for salmon. I repeatedly outfished buddies who where swinging flies for steelhead and I think this would be a great way to target atlantic salmon, especially in low water when other methods are unproductive. I would love to hear from anyone whom has had success fishing nymph style in typical peaty water like we have in Ireland, cheers and thanks in advance.

had a bonanza few hours on the Clongee stretch of the Moy in September
    last year. Pool stuffed with fish, fresh & stale, and we covered them with
    every recognised means all morning with not even a follow.
    repaired for a pint @ lunch to hatch a cunning plan (= desperation !!)
    and tried a weighted nymph almost trotted down the pool - instant success
    with three fish landed and another half dozen last. All cleanly hooked.
    A permanent weapon in my armoury now !

Hi Torridge
    What size of hook(s) did you use please? And what was the pattern /dressing ?? Sounds an interesting tactic for those difficult conditions you described.
    TL
    Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast