Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reflections on my first season of 'Salmon Fishing'

My first season at this 'Salmon Fishing' game is almost over....and i was just reflecting on it.....

I started out totally wrong...I literally 'Threw' money into tackle....ie....Spending money would make it all somehow 'easier' [yep i went against forum members advice..]...how wrong i was.

When i look back at some of my very early questions/post's....i now squirm with embarrassment.....but hey, somebody has to ask the stupid questions...

The ammount i have learned just by studying questions/answers on the forum has been unbelievable.....i had a vague idea what a 'kelt' was......springers, baggot's, rawner's......coloured fish....a 'cock' from a 'hen'.....to begin with was like another blooming language.....and to be totally honest some of it still is.....but i feel i have moved a wee bit 'up' the learning curve. I am coming on well at fly 'recognition'...i can now tell a green one from an orange one....

I have made a good few friends from within the forum.....but would like to thank ALL the forum members for all thier help, advice and encouragement.....thank you for your patience.

SUMMARY.......A hand full of kelt's early on............9 fresh fish to 13lbs.....5 chapped.....4 returned.....3 decent sized 'coloured' fish, all returned.

A brilliant 3 day course on the Dee.

And enjoyed every minute of my 'first season'......a HUGE thank you to all of you

Brian

9 fresh fish is a good first season by any standards.

Quote Originally Posted by rrw35 View Post
    9 fresh fish is a good first season by any standards.
    Agreed, I know some very good salmon anglers who have never caught 9 salmon in a single season!

Hi Brian,

Yes you have indeed came a long way, I am delighted to see that the forum has been such a help.

9 fish so far is a testament to your commitment and determination to succeed, something I witnessed first hand when you attended one of my courses on the Dee this year.

I will remember and tell many others about the time you spent practicing your roll cast without fishing and ultimately the reward in improvement you reaped as a result

Onwards and upwards

Brian
    9 fish in your first year is great, don't come down south or it will ruin your average.
    As Springer said the way you were keen to learn when we were on the Dee is the reason you are and will be a good fisherman.
    Best wishes for the future and hope we meet again soon.
    Just enjoying the Cohobo as I type this, reminds me of what a brilliant time we had on the Dee.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

holy **** 9 fish brian thats super. my first season salmon fishing i got 1. and that was to about 30 hard days fishing from 5am to 7pm plus not to mention my evenings.

fair play brain. youll be head gillie in no time!! keep at it

Well done on your fish Brian, and on getting(almost) your first season under your belt. I have went many a season with one or two fish (salmon) to show for it, and likewise have had bountiful seasons without having to try too hard. It is all down to timing, water that you are fishing and knowing what to do when a good opportunity presents itself.
    I am glad that the forum has provided you with a good start.
    Don't worry about any of your previous posts - it would be nice if we all got a bit of hindsight for christmas.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

Over 1000 posts in less than 12 months and 9 fresh fish in the book

Keep going Brian

Ade

Well done Brian,ive thrashed the water to a foam this year and only landed one

well done brian, i only wish the stinger had beached a few.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast