Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Onshore salmon farming article

Some serious money backing this one.
    Hope it comes off.
    It still doesn't stop all the sand eels being hoovered up for their food, but should help stop disease and parasites.

Salmon Evolution Raises NOK 258 million - Further Commitment by New and Existing Owners - Salmon Evolution

I too hope it comes to fruition. It seems this style of salmon farming is gaining momentum. The initial costs are higher than open cage but over the longer term the multiple benefits are large. I did once hear of a proposed onshore farm that was planning to grow its own feed adjacent to the farm. Possibly worms or lug or something like that, anyway the idea was to get away from plundering the seas to feed the farm, I didn't read anything about it being adopted here. However let's be grateful for small mercies and wish them well.

M
    Start ankle deep with a short line, all wild fish go back

Am concerned.

We as a group need to ensure that when the law is being drawn up for these facilities that we have an active input. One thing I would wish to ensure is that any and all overflows/outputs to natural water coarse are fitted with toxicity sensors, relayed to the correct government body such as SEPA and a scaled fine table in place. Licenses removed for repeat offenders etc etc.

I was also thinking the out flow needs serious monitoring, though this is based on recycling the water so onus will be on quality.

Best way is to make any outflow water Is treated to the same quality that would allow it to go back into the system.