Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  73
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Polyleader loop knot.

Airflo suggest tying a simple overhand knot to form the loop on these, which I do. But it annoys me that the loop then goes off at an angle with that method. It isn't so noticeable on a trout leader but on a salmon polyleader the angle is quite obvious.
    It's just a wee thing, but it kinda irks me. Is there a better knot that will have the loop in a straight line with the rest of the polyleader? I tried the figure of eight knot but it looks a bit bulky.
    Before anyone says.....I know it's a bit anal.

Use tippet rings
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

As Mr gwelsher say's above tippet rings

perfection loop
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

I just use the overhand knot but I know what you mean, if you want the loop to lie straight the perfection loop does it.

I've attached 20 lb test braided mono loops to the ends of all my poly leaders. I work the end of the poly leader up into the braid and attach it with Pliobond. It makes a neat connection that doesn't fatigue as quickly as a knot.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Riverge rings
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I don't like a loop in my poly leader, I don't like the hinge effect of tippet rings either. I prefer to use a two turn surgeons knot to join my tippet, i think 3 turns weakens the knot. I also use a tiny amount of zap a gap on the knot. when my tippet is too short I just tie in another behind the existing knot and then cut off the old one. When using a surgeons knot it's important not to do too much of a jump in diameter, it's also not good for energy transfer and turnover.

Perfection loop knot

Perfection loop also

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast