Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

So the Vosseler Passion is budget at 500 euros.
    The world has gone mad.
    My Magnum 200Ds are laughing their socks off.
    You could get ten of them for that!!! and they have caught a lot of 20lb plus fish for me.

I agree, the prices of classical reels are gone mad. I paid my Sage Evoke 240€ from sale. I've bought my Danielssons all under 400€. But, somehow the prices of classics are higher. You can get Hardy Cascapedia at 499£, which is about 600€'s.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyryan View Post
    And at last, multipliers. Who still make multipliers nowadays? (besides Saracione and Farlex).
    I think Murray Stewart's reels are multipliers. I fear they may be out of your price range, but if you like the S-handle style of reel (not really my thing, but each to their own) you ought to have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zamora View Post
    If you really want something that is bulletproof and lasts to your grandchildren's grandchildren, get yourself a SpeyLab reel. You might have to wait a bit to get one, but people say the are worth it.

As a budget model I would recommend Vosseler Passion. It is still quite light (10/12 aluminium weighs 290g), but it costs less than 500€.

And if you got enough deep pockets, you can go to some Bogdan #0 or similar...

I personally prefer modern reels, Danielsons, Loop Opti/Evotec etc. I have sage Evoke 10 waiting to my Gaelforce Destination 14'6" 9/10 and it is a really well constructed reel with a lot of idea. Sadly it wasn't sales success so Sage dropped it. Based on that brake that Evoke has, I think a new Sage Spey might be good as well. But, if old looks are into you, just go there. Fishing is should bring pleasure to your life, and the stuff might do the same
    Do you know the pricing of the Speylab reels?

I did actually look at them, and was interested as they made multipliers also. Emailed them asking about pricing and no reply.

I have an Evoke 8 for my Death Star TCX 7126. For modern reel the Evoke looks cool.

Just one think I didn't quite like about the half open frame design. The gap between the opening and the frame sometimes hurt my fingers.

Would be interested to know how much backing you could fit in the Evoke 10 with 9/10wt running line and head system?

I think my 8 could actually holds more than Sage claimed, not sure about the 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Elibank View Post
    My Magnum 200Ds send their regards....Classic looking reel (for 14~15ft rod) ?
    They will fish as well and last as long as anything on the list.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    They will fish as well and last as long as anything on the list.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    very true,. Lifes too short for all this garbage. Just get on with fishing with what you have. If it's not broken why fix it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crazyryan View Post
    Do you know the pricing of the Speylab reels?

I did actually look at them, and was interested as they made multipliers also. Emailed them asking about pricing and no reply.

I have an Evoke 8 for my Death Star TCX 7126. For modern reel the Evoke looks cool.

Just one think I didn't quite like about the half open frame design. The gap between the opening and the frame sometimes hurt my fingers.

Would be interested to know how much backing you could fit in the Evoke 10 with 9/10wt running line and head system?

I think my 8 could actually holds more than Sage claimed, not sure about the 10.
    I think the SpeyLab prices are about 1000€ and up. They have so much different customization possibilities that every reel will have its own price.

To my Evoke 10 I loaded something like 160-175mm 80lb braided backing. I like to use stronger, as it is thicker and so it will last better when hitting rocks and it is also better to handle than thinner ones. I added 30m of Ultima Powerflex 60lb as a running line and it still has room for Guideline Triple-D scandi head. With thinner backing I think it will take over 200m of backing.

E: I weighed my Evoke with backing and running line. Without a shooting head it weighs 365g and when pulling the running line out it weighs 351g. 100m of 80lb backing weighs about 20g so I estimated I have about that 175m of backing there as the reel weighs 315g when empty. So, when all lines together, I’ll have around 220m line on that reel. Should be enough even with larger one.
    Last edited by Zamora; 18-02-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Its hardly garbage. If people want to use nice reels and talk about them then why not? If you don't want to then don't. its quite simple really

I'd stick 3 ounces of lead on the abel and save your penny's. Times have changed for me! Simply not prepared to throw good money at more tackle especially if you already have something to do the job.

Strip all your backing off, rap lead wire round the arbor (weight out 3 ounces prior) , reapply backing. Jobs a good in I have done this with a few reels in the days I fished 15 or 16ftrs.

A reel safely stores the line.
    Whether it is a scuffed and dinged BFR , Viscount, Marquis, Tibor, Perfect or a near pristine Bogdan 300 with spare spool . I have or have used all.
    Like legal tyres they all work and mostly you pay little heed to them after a while.
    I would happily sell any and use another...the only criteria being weight and capacity for a given rod/line, hence the collection which shrinks and grows .
    The fish really, truly don't care. You can palm a salmon into submission. Miss Ballantine probably did!
    Tho' to answer your question Crazyran, it would be the 300 Bogdan Nordic...it holds a full Spey line with enough backing, weighs 13oz, and is a 2:1 multiplier . They were made in R or L hand . Yes they are as finely tuned /turned as a Swiss watch but are Sherman tank tough. Salt-proof, so good for Tarpon as well as Grilse...not cheap but they do everything...with an S shaped handle. Good value then!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast