Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  33
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default New tackle for 2020

I am sitting looking out of the window as storm Dennis is starting to hit contemplating the new season ahead.
    Part of the enjoyment I have is getting and trying good new tackle. So this year I am really looking forward to trying a 14í 9wt sage igniter in Norway in June. I havenít bought it yet but will be in the coming weeks based on the recommendation of people I know who rate the rod very highly.
    I am also looking forward to trying a Sage one 6wt switch rod which I bought off a forum member as it will be perfect for parts of a small river I fish in the Autumn. It grass casts the line I like to use (Airflo switch floating line) very very well and I am convinced will help me fish parts of the river better. Itís also a lovely rod to own
    I am also looking forward to trying the Vision Ace floating/int scandi line as I can think of many pools where this line would be a great choice and I have also never used a vision head before.

What new tackle, River etc will any of you be looking forward to this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil W View Post
    I am sitting looking out of the window as storm Dennis is starting to hit contemplating the new season ahead.
    Part of the enjoyment I have is getting and trying good new tackle. So this year I am really looking forward to trying a 14í 9wt sage igniter in Norway in June. I havenít bought it yet but will be in the coming weeks based on the recommendation of people I know who rate the rod very highly.
    I am also looking forward to trying a Sage one 6wt switch rod which I bought off a forum member as it will be perfect for parts of a small river I fish in the Autumn. It grass casts the line I like to use (Airflo switch floating line) very very well and I am convinced will help me fish parts of the river better. Itís also a lovely rod to own
    I am also looking forward to trying the Vision Ace floating/int scandi line as I can think of many pools where this line would be a great choice and I have also never used a vision head before.

What new tackle, River etc will any of you be looking forward to this year?
    I picked up a couple of Vision Ace heads myself, going cheap. I've only cast the float/inter yet, but really struggled at first. I fished it with a fast sinking polyleader and brass tube. I just couldn't get it to roll the fly and leader up till I started to pull the back of the head through the first few rod rings !
    After I realised that it was much better. When I looked at the head at home it does have quite a long rear taper that goes down very fine, it would definitely benefit from a couple of feet lopping off the back. Only snag is losing the welded loop.
    I would be interested to hear how you find things ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I was good over the closed season for buying tackle this year as i went abit mad last season.
    Mostly new lures, flees and flee boxes to be better organised. Oh and a giant mcleans weigh net that i won for 40 quid on ebay by default as i bid after a few beers and no one else bid on it, netted 1 fish with it allready for another agnler but may sell it on as i think i prefer my old big shapes net.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Trying not to buy any more stuff and work more an making the stuff I already have work better for me.

Looking forward to using my new Sage Igniter 7126. I've managed about an hours test casting with it and I'm really impressed. Be very interested to hear how you get on with 9140 NeilW when you get it, I'm using an X 9140 as my go to rod for bigger waters which is great when I remember to slow my casting style down!

Looking forward to using my igniters 9140 and 6126 and the various gaelforce lines I purchased over the closed season. Had a day out with the 9140 on the opening day of the Findhorn, really enjoyed using it.

Funny to see this thread today, Neil !
    Itís tackle time for me too - weekend, end of season for hucho hucho exactly today ! and two weeks until the trout season starts again, three months to prepare for salmon fishing in Norway... In effect I am only two weeks forced to be out of fishing, luckily in several aspects. If longer without active fishing, I would do a lot of stupid things and buy just for satisfaction... Itís better for me to do around with tackle in small doses spread over the year I guess. But nevertheless I canít stop myself to test new equipment. Itís part of the fun.

Just end of the year I got my new Guideline NT8 11Ď9 in#7/8. Too late for the trout season and serious testing in real fishing situations. I ordered it middle of 2019, but it was out of stock. It wonít get use as a switch rod. Itís a MiniSpey for me. First casting sessions were promising in aspects of performance as a serious casting tool especially for big river situations, targeting bigger trouts, and low water situations for salmons/seatrouts. So I am excited to use the opening in March for further impressions.
    I also ordered a NT8 13Ď9 in #9/10 this week for a friend who wanted me to find a perfect fit of rod-line pairings. He wanted the 4piece, what is interesting for me too for comparison, because I already know the 6piece model. Who knows, maybe I am blown away this time... But I already have very strong competitors in this category in my Harem.
    With rods I was already absolutely over equipped and gave away 36 DH rods the last years to friends. I couldnít believe it myself when I did a list of my rods... I paid twice, for the rods and my therapist But he did good work. I only kept my personal favorites, for fishing (and for further comparisons). A lot of space now.
    Because you mention thoughts for the Sage Igniter: I hope Sage was doing a good job now and itís a Scandi rod on the level of the European labels now. After the Sage Brownies (3piece), designed by GŲran Andersson, I couldnít become familiar with a single Sage series. Exception in the real DH category was the TCX 7126 and in the Switch category the 5119, 7119 and 8119. But thatís very individual of course. Hope the 14í Igniter is between the previous Method (weak tip, stiff butt) and the X, which is too much in the other direction for me. Maybe finally they found a nice progressive action.
    What I learned in sharing impressions in rod characteristics is, one have to try it. Too different are the individual preferences and descriptions. You have to buy it, as long as you donít have the possibility to test it seriously with your favorite lines you are used to, side by side with your X (as far as I remember?).
    I would be interested to try the NAM rods.
    In lines you mentioned the Vision float/intermediate. I liked the early Vision lines very much as floaters and the ghost tip lines (clear intermediate) with a mono core. The double density lines were always a little tip heavy for my standards. I prefer the floaters from Vision and use intensively the highly adaptable Rio SVT/SSVT for sinktip applications on every rod from #4 to #10, also the Nextcast SalarFinder in rods from 13í6/14í up to 15í.
    For stealthy fishing and necessity of clear tips (in lighter rod/line categories) I customize my own tips out of a stock of clear coated mono core lines, longer than the standard tips in 10Ď for smoother presentation. The Rio Bellyís can be paired with different tips very versatile, always in consideration of mass distribution and length of course.

Lines, tips and leaders and all possibilities in combinations are a very very big playground to experiment. I am still splicing own creations of Bellyís and tips, especially for the MiniSpey game. Lines and line adjustments are a big part of my tackle sickdom.
    Last edited by wetwader; 15-02-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    - Letīs be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

A couple of spools of maxima probably, the way salmon fishing is going no new rods, reels or lines required, certainly this season anyway.

I will let you know about the igniter. I do have the X as well but want a 2 rod set up for Norway. One with a floating Scandi and one with a sink tip including the Vision Ace sink tip. Itís worth a go anyway.
    Would be great to know about the 7126 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robb76 View Post
    Looking forward to using my new Sage Igniter 7126. I've managed about an hours test casting with it and I'm really impressed. Be very interested to hear how you get on with 9140 NeilW when you get it, I'm using an X 9140 as my go to rod for bigger waters which is great when I remember to slow my casting style down!

My friends who tend to have no more than 5 rods laugh at me a bit for having a dozen rods. That said they have also benefited from my testing rods and use the Sage TCX 8119 which is a brilliant small river rod. One also had to get a sage one 15ft as he liked it so much, maybe because he caught 5 on it while giving it a go on the Spey.
    I am trying to sell before I buy these days but not always successful

Quote Originally Posted by wetwader View Post
    Funny to see this thread today, Neil !
    Itís tackle time for me too - weekend, end of season for hucho hucho exactly today ! and two weeks until the trout season starts again, three months to prepare for salmon fishing in Norway... In effect I am only two weeks forced to be out of fishing, luckily in several aspects. If longer without active fishing, I would do a lot of stupid things and buy just for satisfaction... Itís better for me to do around with tackle in small doses spread over the year I guess. But nevertheless I canít stop myself to test new equipment. Itís part of the fun.

Just end of the year I got my new Guideline NT8 11Ď9 in#7/8. Too late for the trout season and serious testing in real fishing situations. I ordered it middle of 2019, but it was out of stock. It wonít get use as a switch rod. Itís a MiniSpey for me. First casting sessions were promising in aspects of performance as a serious casting tool especially for big river situations, targeting bigger trouts, and low water situations for salmons/seatrouts. So I am excited to use the opening in March for further impressions.
    I also ordered a NT8 13Ď9 in #9/10 this week for a friend who wanted me to find a perfect fit of rod-line pairings. He wanted the 4piece, what is interesting for me too for comparison, because I already know the 6piece model. Who knows, maybe I am blown away this time... But I already have very strong competitors in this category in my Harem.
    With rods I was already absolutely over equipped and gave away 36 DH rods the last years to friends. I couldnít believe it myself when I did a list of my rods... I paid twice, for the rods and my therapist But he did good work. I only kept my personal favorites, for fishing (and for further comparisons). A lot of space now.
    Because you mention thoughts for the Sage Igniter: I hope Sage was doing a good job now and itís a Scandi rod on the level of the European labels now. After the Sage Brownies (3piece), designed by GŲran Andersson, I couldnít become familiar with a single Sage series. Exception in the real DH category was the TCX 7126 and in the Switch category the 5119, 7119 and 8119. But thatís very individual of course. Hope the 14í Igniter is between the previous Method (weak tip, stiff butt) and the X, which is too much in the other direction for me. Maybe finally they found a nice progressive action.
    What I learned in sharing impressions in rod characteristics is, one have to try it. Too different are the individual preferences and descriptions. You have to buy it, as long as you donít have the possibility to test it seriously with your favorite lines you are used to, side by side with your X (as far as I remember?).
    I would be interested to try the NAM rods.
    In lines you mentioned the Vision float/intermediate. I liked the early Vision lines very much as floaters and the ghost tip lines (clear intermediate) with a mono core. The double density lines were always a little tip heavy for my standards. I prefer the floaters from Vision and use intensively the highly adaptable Rio SVT/SSVT for sinktip applications on every rod from #4 to #10, also the Nextcast SalarFinder in rods from 13í6/14í up to 15í.
    For stealthy fishing and necessity of clear tips (in lighter rod/line categories) I customize my own tips out of a stock of clear coated mono core lines, longer than the standard tips in 10Ď for smoother presentation. The Rio Bellyís can be paired with different tips very versatile, always in consideration of mass distribution and length of course.

Lines, tips and leaders and all possibilities in combinations are a very very big playground to experiment. I am still splicing own creations of Bellyís and tips, especially for the MiniSpey game. Lines and line adjustments are a big part of my tackle sickdom.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast