Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Ok so tried the meindl and to be honest coudldnt get a good fit, usualy a 10 but they were abit tight, tried a 10.5 and they were better and would work but getting slight heel lift. Going to call in again next week with thicker socks and see if they are a better fit. Also they were low on stock and the guy had a pair of scarpas and lowas that he rekons i should try for fit before jumping in.
    Was also quite supprised by how stiff the foot bed was on the meindls. Could be because ive had trainers on today but wasnt quite sure if it was just me or the boots but they didnt feel 100%. If usualy just go for it and see how they go when they break in but dont really want to blow 200 quid for boots that arent quite right.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

If you are using them for walking and not tramping across heather moors then Ex-army pro boots are a lot less than £100, very comfortable, goretex lined and wear well. I have worn them for years now for walking. They don't have a toe guard so I don't wear them on the moor as the heather takes the top off the leather. Look online you should get a pair for £75 or less. Sizing appears accurate. I am a 12 and the 12 fits perfectly and they don't take any breaking in. I've done the Dales Way in them and also Hadrians wall over the years and can't fault them.

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    If you are using them for walking and not tramping across heather moors then Ex-army pro boots are a lot less than £100, very comfortable, goretex lined and wear well. I have worn them for years now for walking. They don't have a toe guard so I don't wear them on the moor as the heather takes the top off the leather. Look online you should get a pair for £75 or less. Sizing appears accurate. I am a 12 and the 12 fits perfectly and they don't take any breaking in. I've done the Dales Way in them and also Hadrians wall over the years and can't fault them.

SP8
    Its usualy upland moorland im on to be honest, alot on the fells near the house with the dog and mostly in the cheviot hills which is the same sort of thing if you are on some of the quieter bits.

Quote Originally Posted by heather point View Post
    I have tried quite a few boots and the ones that stood up best and were excellent value for money are Grisport. Top quality Italian leather 10" high.
    The ones to avoid are Harkila. had two pairs and both failed in the second year.
    Yes, you will get them cheap from John Norris but there is a good reason for that - see above.
    If you want top quality clothing, buy Harkila but if you want top quality boots, go to a boot manufacturer.
    I would suggest if you don't feel comfortable in them for 5 minutes in the shop they are possibly not the fit for you. The sock you generally wear is a worth while practise when trying your new boots on. But putting thick socks on to make them comfortable will be a killer in warmer condition.

Regards stiff soles this will be common in 3/4 season boots and will take some breaking in. Everyone will have differing stories on length of time this could/should take. But first and foremost they should feel comfortable and supportive in the shop. No pinching or rubbing.

Cheers andy

Don't know what happened? This reply is for rrr.

Cheers andy
    Last edited by mc andy; 14-02-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mc andy View Post
    I would suggest if you don't feel comfortable in them for 5 minutes in the shop they are possibly not the fit for you. The sock you generally wear is a worth while practise when trying your new boots on. But putting thick socks on to make them comfortable will be a killer in warmer condition.

Regards stiff soles this will be common in 3/4 season boots and will take some breaking in. Everyone will have differing stories on length of time this could/should take. But first and foremost they should feel comfortable and supportive in the shop. No pinching or rubbing.

Cheers andy
    Yea, they werent a bad fit in a half size bigger but there wasnt really anything similar in stock in my size to compare them to so would rather try a few pairs on at the same time for a direct comparison. The guy in the shop seemed to know his stuff and seemed to think a pair of scarpas they had may fit better based on the feedback i gave him. Also that if i had no joy with them then to speak to altberg.
    Actualy nice to have a shop assistant that isnt just after a sale and wants to make sure things are right.

Last edited by Rrrr; 14-02-2020 at 06:38 PM.

I spent an hour and a half at Mountain Warehouse in London recently with a member of staff who really knew what he was doing (!!imagine?) just trying on a whole array of Meindl boots. He dismissed some as too wide for me. I ended up with a pair that have a very stiff sole. He warned me that you either like these or you don't. You do need a store with a good range of boots in all sizes.

Iíve had scarpa sl for years, really good quality and crampon compatible for winter on the mountains

Default Boots of the non wading type ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Ok so tried the meindl and to be honest coudldnt get a good fit, usualy a 10 but they were abit tight, tried a 10.5 and they were better and would work but getting slight heel lift. Going to call in again next week with thicker socks and see if they are a better fit. Also they were low on stock and the guy had a pair of scarpas and lowas that he rekons i should try for fit before jumping in.
    Was also quite supprised by how stiff the foot bed was on the meindls. Could be because ive had trainers on today but wasnt quite sure if it was just me or the boots but they didnt feel 100%. If usualy just go for it and see how they go when they break in but dont really want to blow 200 quid for boots that arent quite right.

Sounds like youíre going through same as I did a few hrs back. I bought Zamberlain Trek-Lite in 1991. I have a tricky fit that suffers heel slip in many popular brands btw.
    The Zamberlains have had a long and hard life (Schilthorn, Lauberhorn, Scotland, Lakes, etc). After finally coming apart at the sole I tried many others for fit.
    Top of the list (as on here) ended up Meindl Bhutan or Altberg.
    Meindl I also found much stiffer, making the Trek-Lite feel like carpet slippers.
    Altbergs were nice plus my local store (Whalley Warm & Dry) has an Altberg fitting service. Still a hint of heel slip resulted in a trip to a commercial re-soler in Burnley where for £20 the TrekLites were reunited with their original vibram.

I had intended as a temp measure but they now feel good for another few decades!!

For approach/walking trainers Iíve found North Face hedgehogs, some Berghaus and Meindl Philadelphia GTX good on the heel.
    Also risked a £20 pair of ALDI fabric waterproof hiking style boots last year for dog walking and theyíre surprisingly good despite a trainer style sole. (No good for serious stuff)
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 15-02-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefly Dave View Post
    The Harkila stalking boots are good. Mine were a half price bargain from J Norris - an offer you'd be very, very lucky to see repeated
    Seriously, if rough ground is your bag they do what it says on the tin.
    I will second that one, bought a pair for shooting two years ago fantastic boots for the price.Footwear Sale | John Norris

Started with nothing and still have most of it left

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast