Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Terminology

Cast, for me, was a, multi, wet, trout fly leader. I usually bought pre made for two or three wet flies, think they were marketed as a 'Cast'... Racine Tortue, Fog, etc. Usually with the 'Snood' point occurring at each taper position. Each snood was the final connection to the fly, and the lowest BS. You could use the 'Tag end' at each diameter reduction as the snood, which helped to stop tangles, but didn't enhance presentation.
    Don't know if this applies to salmon, as never fish more then one fly...I can create enough mayhem with one !
    Don't bother now, use .....'Ermmmm...Tippet rings?'
    Leader could be either 'Tapered' utilised to turnover on long leaders, for presentation / dry / small flies, or parallel for shorter lengths / bigger dries/ wets.
    But all still leaders, from fly line to fly !
    Polytips / Versatips, etc. brought us 'Tippet !' parallel section of line from Poly. Vers. to fly.
    Whether they are an extension of the fly line...or part of the leader is ??

mel....
    Last edited by lowforcefly; 10-02-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.Chessman View Post
    Are you guys talkin' 'bout the trace?

Surely you mean the rig?

Gut, anyone?

Default Terminology

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.Chessman View Post
    Gut, anyone?
    Depends I guess how far back we go?

I inherited a Forrest of Kelso greenheart rod with brass reel complete with “catgut” line etc plus one fly - still got the rod, reel and fly, but alas the line didn’t survive!!
    Provenance from my great uncle who was gamekeeper at Chillingham for Earl Tankerville.
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 11-02-2020 at 12:26 AM.

Being a luddite.....Maxima covers it for me

Noeyedeer

That 'Forrest of Kelso greenheart rod with brass reel' must have taken many fish...do you have the records to go with it?

As for leader does that make Mr Trump a tippet?

Quote Originally Posted by meyre View Post
    Noeyedeer

That 'Forrest of Kelso greenheart rod with brass reel' must have taken many fish...do you have the records to go with it?

As for leader does that make Mr Trump a tippet?

No, it was handed to my dad to fish with by his uncle.
    Lost my dad in an RTA when I was 7 (I'm now nearly 60) so can only go off what my mother recalls!

The rod has a repaired tip so we reckon it may have belonged to Lord Tankerville and discarded (for my dad to use) due to the damage.
    He apparently took it to Alnwick - to a mate at Hardy's many years ago who said it wasn't a salmon rod, so possibly for sea trouting?
    I think from memory it's about 14ft, v thick at the butt with fold down rings. Currently snug in a rod bag my dad had made plus a tube I got from a coarse fishing shop.
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 12-02-2020 at 12:38 PM.

Default What’s Important !

I guess terminology is as much about where you hail from and how you came to fishing. Older anglers like myself tend to call the whole bit off the end of the fly line the “cast”. I got that from my Grandfather when I was a nipper 50 odd years ago. It starts getting confusing for some people with the advent of shooting heads with interchangeable tips for various depths etc but for me they are still part of the fly line and not the cast. A tapered or straight leader, home made or bought, is part of the cast. Most people tie on a section of line that then gets tied to the fly. As flys are changed this bit gets shorter until it’s too short so is replaced with a new bit. Tippet is a trout fishing term I believe (I fish more trout than salmon) but my honest opinion is most of these things are created by the manufacturers to catch the angler not the fish. I remember about 40 years ago asking an experienced angler a daft question because I didn’t know but wanted too, he scoffed and was very aloof at my lack on knowledge. When I told father he advised me that actually the guy has to use the toilet the same as the rest of us and 99.9% of other fishermen would be happy to take the time to explain. Knowledge does not equal power, knowledge is there to be shared.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast