Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  36
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Probably a Good Thing that I didn't come for Springers eh?

Springer fishing February and March were among the options I considered but given the risk of weather and the fact that I get all of that I need here at home I deferred.

Just read the news report of the storm Ciara pounding away at the UK and Northern Europe. Flooding along the Eden and many other locations. I wish you all to remain safe through this and suffer no losses.

When I read of the wind speeds registered I did think of a storm that battered a spit of land I had the bad fortune of being camped on some 9 years past. Along the coast of Kodiak Island west of mainland Alaska. So fierce that it nearly collapsed my North Face Expedition 25 Mountaineering tent even though the tent was fully tethered with every guy line inside and out.

When the day broke and I came from the tent there were no leaves on any tree as all were torn by the winds. I had bought that tent because they are what expeditions on Mt. Everest employed and I felt I needed an extreme condition tent for this place where I live.

The tent stood it although bending to the point of being nearly flattened. When I returned to the town of Kodiak some six days after the storm I learned that the Coast Guard weather station had recorded 88 mph winds lashing over the Pasagshak Bay where I had been through the worst of it. Winds of that velocity are indeed something to fear.

You're spot on there, Ard, you'd be as well off throwing your money to the wind!

We had a cruel wind in the Hebrides back in 2005 where it topped 125 mph. One of the most frightening nights of my life. The draught in my house was so fierce it was lifting the heavy bedroom carpet a foot off the floor! I lay in bed that night hearing slates getting ripped from the roof, expecting the whole lot to lift off at any moment. Just horrific.

The photos folks are posting on the Ciara thread are devastating. Those poor people. One hears time and again how bad the insurance companies are at responding with some waiting months for help whilst their houses rot and mould takes hold.
    And, as my grandmother used to say, " God help the sailors!"

I nearly got wiped out by a car skidding out in the snow this morning, I just managed to get out his way by driving into the verge whilst he hit the dry stone wall and went into the field, the guy was OK thankfully but his car is probably a right off, I waited with him until the police arrived, got my van out the verge and turned back home

I think all of the rivers in my area were flooded out yesterday and the highest for years, must have been a load of rain through sat night on the north pennines and cheviots. Im just hoping the redds arent washed out as there was some water coming down.
    We seemed to miss the worst of the wind at my place as it must have hit the western faces of the high fells and thats blocked it slightly.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Costa del Clyde yesterday

0147a49f-1041-4abd-8722-aac71b9efefb-jpeg

5e66fc11-c069-4c05-b6a9-0e446c9443f5-jpeg

89884455-b442-409c-be0b-dfed74cfd9bc-jpeg

9c3274e7-6d7b-4528-87cf-1c7fae289966-jpeg

b7bdb9e0-837a-4bcc-a02a-0b0d783c6751-jpeg
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Chuffin 'ell thats scary Brian, although we in the Peoples Republic escaped rather lightly yesterday, it's still going to cost me a new back garden panelled fence.The wind copped hold if it and it was game over!, even took one of the concrete post's down too.
    Thoughts go out to all those who truly suffered in that weather.
    Pedro.

That's brutal Brian. We ain't seen it that bad up here, though I did have to wait till they cleared away a tree on Friday, coming back from the Dee. Hopefully the wind drops for the Don epening tomorrow.
    Bill Cook

On a slightly selfish note I wonder how the salmon cages have stood up the the storm .....

As Rennie noted we got off lightly on this side of the Pennines compared to the west: Appleby in Westmoreland is under water again, only 5 years since it was completely devastated by Storm Desmond.

The Ure peaked yesterday at +16' 6", so all this water will arrive in flood-prone York later today. We'll just have to hope that all the Environment Agency's work on the Foss Barrier after the last failure will actually work this time.

If Ard wanted wind the place to be was the Hebrides in January 1990. The new British wind speed record couldn't be registered because the anemometer blew off the roof of the control building on St Kilda: a few minutes before departure it was reportedly reading over 160 mph. The brand new 3-D radar had already flown away into the darkness and the Atlantic.
    Last edited by MCXFisher; 10-02-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Costa del Clyde yesterday

0147a49f-1041-4abd-8722-aac71b9efefb-jpeg

5e66fc11-c069-4c05-b6a9-0e446c9443f5-jpeg

89884455-b442-409c-be0b-dfed74cfd9bc-jpeg

9c3274e7-6d7b-4528-87cf-1c7fae289966-jpeg

b7bdb9e0-837a-4bcc-a02a-0b0d783c6751-jpeg

Size 16 ptn Brian 🙄

_20200209_163208-jpg

_20200209_171800-jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast