Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Default Upper garnock flood prevention scheme

Recently found out that on the north ayrshire council website that work will start this summer on a project just north of Kilbirnie on on a large dam to hold water back for the prevention of flooding further down river, of course no one wants to see people's homes or businesses damaged but surely there must be another way, possibly some type of green engineering could be applied with a bit of thought. Just recently I read that the plight of the salmon has become a national priority, this project could ruin the spawning grounds and fish passage up the river even though a fish pass has been mentioned. With all the other well documented problems that the salmon are facing this is all we need.

They probably want to be seen to be doing 'something'. Whether it's the right thing or not is not taken into consideration at all.

The problem lies with moorlands not being able to retain water. Moorland drainage for wind farms and forestry mean that water runs off too quickly. Each base of a wind turbine displaces vast amounts of water that would otherwise have been retained on the moorland. It has to go somewhere.

A large dam may hold water back further up the river but will, as you say, come at the expense of easy migration and spawning habitat.

I've seen a few examples online of trying to keep water on the moorlands by blocking drains, allowing water to hold up and eventually be grew over by mosses which act like huge sponges. It is expensive and time consuming and not as easy to point at and feel smug about as a huge dam regardless of how much better it is for the environment, the moorlands and the burns and rivers they feed.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

The presentation is full of detailed design but no hint of how the dam will operate and how it would buffer flows.

Before reading it I thought it might be a design with an active gate which controls maximum flow through the existing river channel and forces flood water to back up behind the dam making it a useful buffer with no need to block the river channel. That would make sense and mean no fish pass would be needed but it doesn't say at all how the dam operates and how it prevents flooding.

How long before they add a "green hydro" to the plans? I'll give it a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    The presentation is full of detailed design but no hint of how the dam will operate and how it would buffer flows.

Before reading it I thought it might be a design with an active gate which controls maximum flow through the existing river channel and forces flood water to back up behind the dam making it a useful buffer with no need to block the river channel. That would make sense and mean no fish pass would be needed but it doesn't say at all how the dam operates and how it prevents flooding.

How long before they add a "green hydro" to the plans? I'll give it a year.
    My local authority recently built a flood prevention scheme on a nearby burn which involved creating a large self draining dam / artificial flood plain designed in such a way that the dam contained very little water in dry periods and only filled up during heavy rains . To achieve this they had to radically alter the burn by deepening and creating a series of man made sluices / weirs which, if it had contained fish, would have required fish ladders. This small scheme cost a fortune and took a long time to complete therefore I should imagine a much larger scheme, if it is a similar type, would cause major disruption to the Garnock.

There’s a similar scheme near me, although I think the Garnock one looks smaller. A google search for Morpeth flood defences will bring up lots of information and pictures.

The reservoir will only hold water for a day or two in (infrequent) flood conditions and, if the Garnock one is designed sensibly, there’s no reason why it should hold fish up.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnock View Post
    Recently found out that on the north ayrshire council website that work will start this summer on a project just north of Kilbirnie on on a large dam to hold water back for the prevention of flooding further down river, of course no one wants to see people's homes or businesses damaged but surely there must be another way, possibly some type of green engineering could be applied with a bit of thought. Just recently I read that the plight of the salmon has become a national priority, this project could ruin the spawning grounds and fish passage up the river even though a fish pass has been mentioned. With all the other well documented problems that the salmon are facing this is all we need.
    Do you have a link for this ?
    I can find bits and bobs in varying places , but it would be good to see the whole plan in one place.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    Many thanks.

Might be worth contacting Ayrshire Rivers Trust. They are usually onto stuff like this in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    Might be worth contacting Ayrshire Rivers Trust. They are usually onto stuff like this in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dropped them an email just in case.