Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Let down by polytip loop

Fishing the Tweed in the closing month I hooked a overhanging branch, i tried to shake it free with no joy so I turned away to snap it and to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the welded loop to fail before the nylon when snagged, it was either a greys or a airflo 10ft salmon.

Cheers Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 08-02-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    Fishing the Tweed in the closing month I hooked a overhanging branch, i tried to shake it free with no joy so I turned away to snap it and to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the loop to give before the nylon when snagged, it was either a greys or a airflo 10ft salmon.

Cheers Al
    I think you have to keep an eye on the condition of the welded loops. I've had a couple of well used ones that start looking a bit iffy. Time to throw away when they get like that.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

If you mean the front end then try riverge tippet rings i added them to all my polyleaders last year and ive much more confidence in them now over the loop to loop

This is the loop on my 4 year old Spey line.

This is why it is not cut and badly kinked.

I make these.

Sink tips are even more soft that regular floating lines. I began making them 9 years ago when my tippet cut the loop on my sink tip while I had a rather nice king salmon being reeled in.

I make them in black for sink tip use and orange for my floating lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    to my surprise the loop on the polytip failed with much less strain than I'm comfortable with, its dented my confidence in them.

How unusual is it for the loop to give before the nylon when snagged,

Cheers Al
    One of the main issues causing failure of poly leader loops is when fluorocarbon leaders are used on nylon poly leader loops. The flurcarbon is too hard for the nylon and under pressure cuts through it. That will not be the reason in this instance if nylon was used, however perhaps it was weakened earlier by previous fluorocarbon use.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    What is the appropriate behavior for a man or a woman in the midst of this world, where each person is clinging to his piece of debris? What's the proper salutation between people as they pass each other in this flood?
    Buddha

When you say that the loop failed do you mean that the mono leader cut through the loop? Or that the weld itself failed?

If you mean the weld failed I always drop a nail knot over the joint as a belt and braces exercise.

Sorry folks it was the welded loop that failed, fwiw the fast sinking polytip was new out of the pack that morning ?

Thanks Al

polytip or polyleader (versileader, fusionleader)?

I extensively use Airflo Poly Leaders in most sizes suitable(5ft, 8ft, 10ft and 15ft) for Salmon.I've never had an Airflo item fail on me at all.I've had Rio polys. fail on me and Michael Evans polys fail on me both on the welded loop!.
    Now, when you say fast sinking poly Al, which fast sinker do you mean!-the Brown 3.9 ips one?.I know 2 of the makes of polys. come from differing factories, but thats the particular sinkers I've had fail on me in the past!.
    Mindst you it was all a while ago so it could be a problem thats since been eradicated.
    As with anything in life there will be little hiccups along the way with most things at one stage or another.Could be a rum 'un or a slight fault in a batch.Buy a re- placement poly. from a different shop, maybe in a different part of the country(mail order etc.).From my experiences I think you'd be very unlucky to experience the same again.
    As said in an earlier reply, keep your eyes on the polys. in general, it's easy to forget about them and take them for granted, like any part of terminal tackle they're quite important, any issues and bin them.
    Pedro.

This guy make loops with three nail knots - tarpon fishing. That's how I do it if there's no loop. If there is a loop, I reinforceit with a single knot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast