Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Should be targeting all types of Wild fish, fly fishing, Pike, Perch, Sea Fish.
    Im sure if photos showed beautiful backdrops, then with a fly rod thrown in, it opens up so much more than Salmon ( Dying a death here, and not pulling in youth, NO Fish ). Theirs lots good fly fishing here, and places to go, where you will get a bend in the rod.
    We desperately need more youth, and a magazine, that promotes fly fishing for fish that dont cost an arm and leg, and you got good chance to catch one, can help draw more youth.
    Last edited by scotsmac1; 05-02-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsmac1 View Post

We desperately need more youth, and a magazine, that promotes fly fishing for fish that dont cost an arm and leg, and you got good chance to catch one, can help draw more youth.
    FlyFishing and Fly Tying has been streets ahead of T&S in this department for many years.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    FlyFishing and Fly Tying has been streets ahead of T&S in this department for many years.
    As its title suggests, FF&FT doesn't have any restriction on species, though it does restrict itself to fly fishing only. On the other hand, T&S's title implies a restriction on species, though none on methods.

In recent years, T&S has had quite a few articles on fishing for other species (and of course grayling have always slipped under the wire). But its subtitle still proclaims it to be "the voice of game fishing since 1955", so broadening its focus too much might risk losing its distinctiveness. On the other hand, there have been precious few articles about methods other than fly fishing in recent years. When did it last run a piece about fishing the upstream worm for wild trout, for example?
    Last edited by charlieH; 05-02-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Theyíre cutting costs but keeping the same business model. Maybe theyíll eke out another 10 years.

Itís a bit sneaky of them to do it after the main subscription season has ended. This has clearly been planned for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Meldon9 View Post
    Why cancel? Surely more content for the same money is a good idea?

Salmon fishing and some river fly fishers are real snobs and wont move on in the real world.

I thibk it should include articles on fly fishing for sea and coarse fish now as UK salmon fishing is near enough finished and seatrout not far behind.

High time some of the old farts who think fly fishing should be elitist should wake up and wonder why no young folk want to take up the sport,
    I think that is more of the angle (pardon the pun) that new magazine 'Today's Flyfisher' is trying to cover. I purchased Issue 6 at WH Smiths in Gatwick shortly after Christmas (I only mention the venue as I have not seen it before elsewhere). I have to say I was somewhat surprised that there is a market for another predominantly game focused fly fishing magazine (of what appears to be high production quality) but no reason to wish them other than well with their venture.

I bought my first copy of T&S and Trout Fisherman (both September editions) on the same day in late August 1980. I don't have them anymore but remember their content well. The Trout Fisherman is particularly memerable as its cover showed a sensational new fly called the Dog Nobbler, and inside was the original article on it's creation by the late Trevor Housby. The cover of T&S (between the red tram-lines) was a Trout Stream - in devon I beleive. Happy memories, and I hope people don't give up on them just yet.

Regards

NHP
    Last edited by Nigel Passmore; 05-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotsmac1 View Post
    Im sure if photos showed beautiful backdrops, then with a fly rod thrown in, it opens up so much more than Salmon ( Dying a death here, and not pulling in youth, NO Fish ). Theirs lots good fly fishing here, and places to go, where you will get a bend in the rod.
    My young lad started salmon fishing with me last season and loves it even though heís yet to catch. A magazine to promote fishing would be completely lost on him. Iím donít think heís ever picked up a magazine let alone bought one as stated above itís utube that he will watch for everything including fishing. Heís got lots of hobbies and sports heís into. Buying a magazine on any of them would just never happen these days

I haven't bothered with it for years really as generally disappointed with the salmon content.

I thoroughly enjoy Chasing Silver...the in depth articles are very educational, and often give an insight in to how to fish on different budgets.

Given I only really read the salmon articles, I suspect I'll stop my subscription now. I will however wait and see what percentage interests me.

I guess it will still be called Trout and Salmon, although will just have more trout fishing articles?

Oscar.

I would have bought T&S, TF, Still water FF, Fly fishing & Fly tying, Irish Angler and does anyone remember Sea Trout, Trout & Salmon???

How many of these publications are still running today?

The internet has certainly hit the print media trade hard, In all forms. Not just angling. Its inevitable that a 1 size fits all will emerge from the above.

Will it work though? It might if thereís nothing else to buy I suppose.

Personally, I like reading fishing articles but Iím not fussed on blobs bungs or snakes either. I do like stock trout fishing but in certain fisheries, preferably wild/natural loughs or ponds with a less frequent stocking policy. If there were a series of articles on these such waters, Iíd certainly read them.

Thatís not me denigrating the smaller fisheries either, they certainly have a place in our sport which deserves coverage as well. After all how do the young old or beginners get into fishing, never mind fly fishing for Unicorns!
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

An earlier comment made me think about how long I have been buying T&S and ****** me itís also 5 decades😳. I still enjoy and look forward to it every month. I kept the August 1988 edition which featured a new fly called ďAllyís ShrimpĒ. Tied some and caught my first and second salmon on the same day a month later🎣🎣. I donít expect fantastic new revelations every month. Just part of my fishing fix.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast