Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel sounds

Default Reel sounds

Do you favour a reel that screams or whispers?
    I chanced upon this article online from, The 'Reel' Sound of Music - Fly Reels Compared - Fish and Fly
    It is not exactly accurate having not been done with laboratory instruments but it is an indication of what noise, or lack of it, a reel may make. Just a topic for a bit of fun.
    In my neck of the woods, the "Fish on"! sound of a Hardy Marquis 3 is highly prized.

Definitely a screamer for me , i loathe a silent reel.
    Hardy have great sounding reels in the Marquis , Perfect and Bougle but are **** on the line retrieve, itís like waiting for the cows to come home
    Never do to others what you would not like them to do to you. ( Confucius)

Hardy marquis
    Everybody knows your in

Orvis Battenkill have a listen

Old hardy ultralite disc, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Reel sounds

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

In the past all my reels were 'screamers' and I sold them all on many moons ago. A decision I later regretted.

Bought a Hardy Golden Prince just before the end of the 2018 season. The first fish I played and landed on it was my first of last season. A 14lb springer in mid March which almost ripped the rod out of my hand when it took. It's first run was straight downstream about 120 yds.....the memory of that reels screaming still makes me grin like a big kid!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Much prefer a gentle whisper in my ear
    The last screamer i encountered had my landlord banging on my door asking if everyone was ok.
    Mind you , i did live above a hairdresserís at the time , and it was 2 in the afternoon.

And before anyone comments , it was a VERY long time ago
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I do like my Hardy perfects especially when I am on a good sized Scottish river. Sort of fits with the whole experience.
    Conversely when I fish a small quite out of the way river in the Autumn the same clicker just sounds out of place so i use quiet reels.
    In Norway I am advised to use a good disc drag so that takes precedence over click.

It has to be a screaming reel for me. The loop classic is my favourite reel. Nothing better than a strong fish taking off on a good run and hearing the reel roaring.

Silence is golden 👌, I'm no much into everyone on the river knowing I've got a fish on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast