Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wader For Gaula?

I will be heading Gaula in June this year. I never have wader for my local waters, but I have a pair of Simms Freestone wading boots, so I would need wader, and other wading clothing if necessary.

As the wader would not see much use after the trip so I would prefer not to invest in big $$. Any suggestions for affordable wader? Eg those lower end models from Simms and Patagonia?

Or, does the environment in Gaula demand the better one? I think a Simms G3, around 500USD, would be my maximum budget, if it is really needed to spend.

Also, for considering using in my local waters after the trip, it is pretty warm here so I think I don't want any ultra warm wader (which would get too hot).

Thanks.

Airflo cheap and cheerful and will defo last 1 trip

Quote Originally Posted by crazyryan View Post
    I will be heading Gaula in June this year. I never have wader for my local waters, but I have a pair of Simms Freestone wading boots, so I would need wader, and other wading clothing if necessary.

As the wader would not see much use after the trip so I would prefer not to invest in big $$. Any suggestions for affordable wader? Eg those lower end models from Simms and Patagonia?

Or, does the environment in Gaula demand the better one? I think a Simms G3, around 500USD, would be my maximum budget, if it is really needed to spend.

Also, for considering using in my local waters after the trip, it is pretty warm here so I think I don't want any ultra warm wader (which would get too hot).

Thanks.
    Assuming they have these in your size I doubt you'll find a better sale buy in breathable waders particularly given your stated requirements. Guala, depending on when you go in June, could be anything from freezing to very hot (and anything in-between). So I wouldn't buy neoprenes and if it is cold manage it with undergarments.

Vision Ikon Stockingfoot Chest Waders | Vision Waders | Sportfish

A little bit more expensive but still a great deal in the sale are the zipped version if they have your size:

Vision Ikon Zip Stockingfoot Chest Waders | Sportfish

The latter are what I and many use as our breathable wader of choice at the more normal price

Regards

NHP
    Last edited by Nigel Passmore; 03-02-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Have a look at the simms freestone stockingfoot waders. They are a cheaper model but still fantastic quality.

If you don't normally wade in your local river I suggest you invest in a strong wading stick and if you don't have one or the fishery don't provide one, a lifebelt. The Gaula is a big, powerful river and some pools can require deep wading. As to waders if you ar only using them for one trip why spend mega bucks? As suggested some cheapo Airflo or Bison should do. Take some fleece trousers and some thermal long johns and you are covered whatever the water temperature.

SP8

Hi,

I would also recommend felt sole wader boots for the Gaula. The stones are very smooth and slippery!

Steve

Diver Dave should be able to sort you out at a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Isisalar View Post
    Diver Dave should be able to sort you out at a reasonable price.
    DiverDave's Wader Repairs

Opps, the wading boots I already have is a pair of Simms Freestone rubber sole with cleats.......Would it work or I need to get another pair of felt sole? 😅

Nah!, you'll be just fine crazyryan.But!, you'll need to fill the soles with -and here's the byword! - Quality Tungsten studs.Not cheapo mild steel screws or other cost effective items.But Simms own branded studs and cleats, or those by Orvis, or Kold Kutter etc.
    I have Simms Headwater boots and I have both studs and cleats in the sole.
    The thing with Tungsten is it will keep it's edge and profile far far longer than mild steel.Its the edge to a stud that gives you the grip.
    Mild steel will wear at an alarming rate and once the stud looses its edge and becomes flat, it will become very very slippery and actually worse than no stud in the boot at all.
    This is one of those little things that will make a vast difference, especially if its tough wading terrain!.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 03-02-2020 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast