Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Default Multipliers - Abu 6501

Did a fair bit of beachcasting years ago and became fairly proficient using multipliers, usually an Abu 7000 or a Daiwa millionaire, an Abu 6500 copy.
    Bought a new Abu 6501 a couple of years ago, only used it for a couple of boat trips so far so it's pretty much 'out of the box'. Being left hand wind was a major attraction, still feels awkward using a RHW reel, especially attatched to a large Pollack or Conger.
    With water levels being as they are it looks like I'll be doing some spinning on the Hampshire Avon this spring and it seems an Ideal time to try the 6501, 1-2 oz weights with a floating Devon.
    I'm a bit rusty and haven't ever used one on a single handed rod so I'm going to do a bit of practice on a local lake. Rained off today and yesterday.
    Being 'out of the box' is there anything I need to do to the reel? Seem to recall removing brake blocks and possibly using special oils?
    Any tips or advice for a virtual novice re casting technique and fishing the floating devon?
    Thanks

P.S. reel is loaded with 30lb braid.
    Last edited by Isisalar; 27-01-2020 at 04:46 PM.

I would start with short casts. A gentle sweep with the rod is all that's required to get it out and brake the drum using your thumb to stop the over runs / back lash. You see a small black dial. Turn that to fine tune your cast brake to the weight you casting this will also help with the overruns. The braid will be abit unforgiving if you get a birds nest in the drum. As for maintenance. A few drops of 3n1oil on the level wind worm gear. Also on the handle knobs. They can drive you mad if they start squeaking. Abu's are fairly bomb proof. Pic attached to show the basic oiling points on the baitcaster

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Isisalar View Post
    Did a fair bit of beachcasting years ago and became fairly proficient using multipliers, usually an Abu 7000 or a Daiwa millionaire, an Abu 6500 copy.
    Bought a new Abu 6501 a couple of years ago, only used it for a couple of boat trips so far so it's pretty much 'out of the box'. Being left hand wind was a major attraction, still feels awkward using a RHW reel, especially attatched to a large Pollack or Conger.
    With water levels being as they are it looks like I'll be doing some spinning on the Hampshire Avon this spring and it seems an Ideal time to try the 6501, 1-2 oz weights with a floating Devon.
    I'm a bit rusty and haven't ever used one on a single handed rod so I'm going to do a bit of practice on a local lake. Rained off today and yesterday.
    Being 'out of the box' is there anything I need to do to the reel? Seem to recall removing brake blocks and possibly using special oils?
    Any tips or advice for a virtual novice re casting technique and fishing the floating devon?
    Thanks

P.S. reel is loaded with 30lb braid.
    Your reel will be ideal but a single hand spinning rod for devons on a big fish river is not the best tool for the job. I think you would be far better off with a double hander of around 10ft.

An ABU 6501 holds about 180 yards of 18 lbs maxima which in my experience is ideal. If you want to use braid then I would select based on line diameter and not breaking strain. 30 lbs braid has the equivalent diameter of 8 lbs monofil and I think it too thin for your reel as under pressure it will tend to bed into the coils underneath and cause a jam. The larger diameter line also makes it far easier to sort out any overrun. Unlike sea fishing where you usually have plenty of room, on a river it is very easy to catch bankside growth behind on your backcast and this is the most likely cause of overruns.

As for fishing technique, the spinning section of this forum holds a lot of very helpful information but the following may be a start.

Hants Avon Paternoster rig

Also this might be of interest.

Thanks for that, I was a little concerned that the braid might be a bit skinny.
    I do have another 6501 I bought used with some 50lb braid on and a fair bit of room left so I might well put some heavier braid on that. I'd be happier to have a greater difference between the mainline and hooklength b.s. which will likely be 15 - 20lb.
    Last edited by Isisalar; 27-01-2020 at 08:30 PM.

The thicker braid will help. Ive tried braid before on them. But after nearly setting my thumb on fire. I changed back to 20lb nylon. The Nylon can be abit more forgiving on multipliers when it goes tits up. Believe me it happens to even the best some times Multipliers - Abu 6501

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by david1982mk2; 28-01-2020 at 12:38 AM.