Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fly tying vise

Quote Originally Posted by Richardt3227 View Post
    Have a look at the Scottie vice. Excellent quality, reasonable price and British made. Bought one to replace my nearly 50 year old Veniards vice wnich is now relegated to holding tube fly needle devices.
    I had one of these and sent it back, jaws didn’t grip , the place I bought it from had a look through the rest of the stock and said they’re all the same and they won’t be selling them anymore. Apparently not as good as they where, maybe cheaper materials or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I bought a Danica Danvise from a forum member a good ten years ago. I see ones on ebay for £51+postage.
    Are you still using that one Jockiescott.....have been looking at one just recently, but still unsure!
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger, than almost being caught"

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler.07 View Post
    Are you still using that one Jockiescott.....have been looking at one just recently, but still unsure!
    There's a name I haven't seen in a while!!! Hope you're well sir!

Yes that's the same vice alright.

I bought a set of replacement Jaws for it a few years ago and now keep my tube vice in the old Jaws and use the new ones for hooks.

I didn't realise how much I used the rotation of the vice until I tried to tie a few tiny trout flies on my old stationary vice. I didn't even finish one fly on it!
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

There's a Snowbee Waldron in the Classified Section of the Forum at the moment. These are a fantastic vice, designed by Lawrie Waldron before he started making and selling his own units. His stuff is outstanding. I have 2 of his dubbing rakes, his whip finish tool, his tube fly head and one of his own vices and all are absolutely first class pieces of fly tying finery.
    Last edited by Perrypokemon; 18-02-2020 at 04:45 AM.
    It's all very well using WW2 analogies when referring to Brexit - 'spirit of the blitz' and all that. Imagine the curious atmosphere though if you were sitting in your air raid shelter looking around and realising that half of the people around you had voted to get bombed

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    There's a name I haven't seen in a while!!! Hope you're well sir!

Yes that's the same vice alright.

I bought a set of replacement Jaws for it a few years ago and now keep my tube vice in the old Jaws and use the new ones for hooks.

I didn't realise how much I used the rotation of the vice until I tried to tie a few tiny trout flies on my old stationary vice. I didn't even finish one fly on it!
    Im keeping well thanks, haven't been on here for quite a while!

Did you bother with the extension arm for it, or is it needed do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    There's a Snowbee Waldron in the Classified Section of the Forum at the moment. These are a fantastic vice, designed by Lawrie Waldron before he started making and selling his own units. His stuff is outstanding. I have 2 of his dubbing rakes, his whip finish tool, his tube fly head and one of his own vices and all are absolutely first class pieces of fly tying finery.
    Will have a look, but might be out of my price range!

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler.07 View Post
    Im keeping well thanks, haven't been on here for quite a while!

Did you bother with the extension arm for it, or is it needed do you think?
    I had to Google again to see what the extension arm was for. No I've never used one.

Unless you were looking to tie extremely long winged flies I don't think it is necessary.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Many thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Tardyrover View Post
    I had one of these and sent it back, jaws didn’t grip , the place I bought it from had a look through the rest of the stock and said they’re all the same and they won’t be selling them anymore. Apparently not as good as they where, maybe cheaper materials or something.
    Did you take it up with Scotties? No problems with mine and have always had good service from them.

I will second the Renzetti traveler. Had mine for years great simple vice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12